VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used to capture video from a DV camera, successfully, via firewire with a normal modular PC and a fast Hard disc. Now I would to do the same task with a laptop and then I would like to know wich laptop I could buy.
    Have a good day
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Standard DV does not require a lot of grunt or speed, so long as you don't have anything else running that is causing a lot of disc activity. Pretty much any current laptop above a Netbook should suffice.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Buy the laptop only with 1394 input ( the firewire card already factory pre-installed )
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you already have a laptop without 1394 interface, buy a FireWire adaptor on PCMCIA slot or ExpressCard slot.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for your answers. They are helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hard drive performance has increased to the point where almost any new drive is going to keep up with most routine video capture duties. There are some excellent 500GB laptop drives on the market that are fast (faster than desktop drives of just a couple of years ago), cool-running and relatively inexpensive. Match this with virtually any dual-or-multicore processor and stay away from the bloatware, and you'll be just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just a last question:

Is it sufficient a 5400 rpm or I need a 7200 rpm hard disc?

have a good day
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For DV capture is 5400rpm will be fine, 13gb/hour or 3,6 Mb/s. Today 2.5 inch drive can handle minimum 25 Mb/s.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you danno78 for your answer. I will save a lot of money buying a laptop with 5400 rpm HD instead 7200 rpm
    Have a good day
    Quote Quote