VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. WinFF is by far the fastest AVI -> DVD compliant MPEG2 encoder I've tried, but when I try to import the MPG files I've created into TMPG Authoring Works, TMPG wants to re-encode the videos despite the fact that they are compliant.

I think I could get around this if there were a way to output to VOB from WinFF, is this possible?

If that's NOT possible, whats a good program to take DVD compliant MPG and author them into a DVD structure with VOBs?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I figured it out! In case anyone needs this in the future-

To import DVD compliant MPGs into a Tmpeg Authoring Works 4 Blu-ray project, they must be interlaced. Progressive files will be re-encoded.

You can output interlaced files with WinFF by adding "-flags +ilme" to the command line.

Once I did this it worked fine! And is much faster than letting TMPG do the conversion for you- TMPG took about 2 minutes to encode a 2m 14s video files (or about 30 fps) whereas WinFF does the same job at about 80 fps. Maybe not as high as quality, but for what I'm doing, doesn't matter.

An interesting quirk is that for DVD projects it doesn't matter if the source file is interlaced or progressive- it will not be re-encoded. For Blu-ray projects, the source file must be interlaced.
    Last edited by litmus; 21st Mar 2010 at 17:42.
    Quote Quote