VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys

Im a newbe on this forum and was hoping for some assistance. I like doing video editing and creating menus for home events, but I have a question relating to what programs I should use for high definition M2TS files.

I have video edited my files within Cyberlink Powerdirector and compiled it into .avi file. The main issue I have is the file is 9Gb for 45 minutes of video.

Is there a type of program I can use to reduce the size like H.624 or .MKV to make small enough to fit onto a dvd? And if so what other program that recognises that type of file would allow me to author and compile a dvd menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Sokrates
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you creating a DVD Video disc, or a BD-RE or AVCHD disc ?

If you are creating a DVD Video disc then you will be resizing down to DVD resolution and encoding to MPEG-2. PowerDirector should be able to output mpeg-2 files. Use a bitrate calculator to work out what encoding settings you need to make it fit on a DVD blank.

For BD-RE or AVCHD you can keep the HD video resolutions, and encode to H264. The current PowerDirector can do this. Again, you need to use a bitrate calculator to determine the correct bitrate settings to get the file size you need.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guns1inger

Thanks for the prompt reply, but if I save the project as a MPEG-2 this will also be very large, to big to fit onto a dvd 4.7Gb which I aiming to accomplish. When you state that I should use a bitrate calculator what are you referring to? Do I do this before producing the movie? Or after?

I assumed that Powerdirector uses DIVX encode, am I incorrect? Unfortunately atm blueray media and drive are a little out my reach.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Universal law of video encoding

Filesize = Running Time X Bitrate

Birate is the amount of data allocated to the video during encoding, and is a setting in the encoder. If you look in the Tools section of VideoHelp you will find a list of bitrate calculators. Baldrick hosts and online version as part of the site, and there are many others. You need to work out what your running time is after editing, and enter this into the bitrate calculator. Tell it if you are encoding for single or dual layer DVDs, and it will tell you the bitrate you require. If you are doing a Constant BiRate (CBR) encode then this is the bitrate you will use. If you are doing a Variable BitRate (VBR) encode then this number will the average when you are configuring the encoder.

PowerDirector should allow you to choose which codec you sue for output. You need to read the help file to ifnd out how to do this. I doubt very strongly that it is limited to Divx output only.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you I will look into it tonight for sure, will try to use a low bitrate, what type of file should I use avi, mpeg-2, ahcvd or .mov?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The output format is determined by what you want to create. If you want yo create a DVD Video disc that will play in the majority of DVD players, then you need to output DVD compliant mpeg-2 video. If you are going to create an AVCHD disc that will play in PS3 consoles and some BluRay players, then you need to output at HD compliant resolutions (1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720) using H264 AVC settings, probably to an MP4 container.

And don't use a 'low bitrate', use the right bitrate. I would also recommend keeping your running time to under 2 hours if possible unless going to dual layer discs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guns1inger

Mate I used Cyberlink and this has resolved my issue, thank you so much for your assistance I really appreciate it. Whilst the quality is not the same its more than suitable, stoked with the outcome.

Shrunk the files from 9GB to just over 2GB, its a great result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kypreo View Post
    Hi Guns1inger

Mate I used Cyberlink and this has resolved my issue, thank you so much for your assistance I really appreciate it. Whilst the quality is not the same its more than suitable, stoked with the outcome.

Shrunk the files from 9GB to just over 2GB, its a great result.
    "great result" Please explain. You mean you did a down resolution to MPeg2 720x480 DVD?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Wasn't to hard, under the option to produce the file after editing, when selecting MPEG-2, there is an option for setting, under video you can adjust average and maximum bitrate, this call be done on the H.624 file as well. You can under the "audio" tab also adjust the compression ratio as well. I used the setting above what the calculator suggested as you can not set this value in PowerDirector.

The key is to note the minutes as Guns1inger suggested after you have finished editing, input into the bitrate calculator and adjust your settings accordingly when producing your file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so you just lowered bit rate.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Correct, it was pretty easy to do once I found the required setting.
    Quote Quote