VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a Panasonic DMR-EZ485V because it seemed even though it had average ratings, it was the best of the DVD Recorder Combos out there with VHS combo.

My main question is I have a Sony Bravia that has excellent HD picture and wanted a DVD recorder that could burn DVD's of things I tape on my DVR with same picture quality. This Panasonic even came with an HDMI cable which I thought was for best picture quality.

When I have the unit on and view cable, the quality is less than good and was wondering if this is normal for most DVD recorders/players even with an HDMI cable. It seems useless to have this if the quality is not HD to record to DVD and just kind of average quality.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not crosspost,i have deleted the other thread and moved this one to where it belongs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anything through ANY DVDR will be 480i SD and not what you're seeing if you view your DVDR directly(720p or 1080i). The HDMI upconversion may help a little but it will be nothing like real HD.
    The only way to record real HD to a DVD in the US is to use a computer and record in a format that won't play on any DVD players, only BR players and such. AFA picture quality you'll want to stick to SP or better for best recording quality, but again it will only be SD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dragoan View Post
    When I have the unit on and view cable, the quality is less than good and was wondering if this is normal for most DVD recorders/players even with an HDMI cable. It seems useless to have this if the quality is not HD to record to DVD and just kind of average quality.
    Trying to understand.

HDMI cable is for DVD playback with player upscale.

"View cable" implies you are using the analog tuner? Yes quality will be NTSC upconverted to 1080i HDMI (less than good).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. DVD is set at 480i. If you make it 1080 that's like a digital zoom, so kind of fuzzy.
    Quote Quote