VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Is it me or do most compuiters/alptops nowadays tend to have windows 7/vista preinstalled on them. Only i have found it impossible to have XP on them. They seem to have made the laptops in such a way that they can be downgraded to XP but when it comes to drivers it is an absolute nightmare! On these sites such as Toshiba for example. For the Satellite A500 products (laptop) they only have windows 7 & vista drivers. I was wondering if this is the way its goiung to be form noweo n with all laptops sold? Making it impossible to get drivers for them which are fully incompatible with xp?

Does the same apply with pcs also?

It's like the laptop hardware is signed to windows 7 making it impossible to install xp drivers such as audio/video.

Are pcs going to be like that though or are they a lot more flexible with hardware being compatible with various OS software such as drivers?

thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MOving you our computer section.

I guess it will be like that...I doubt that they will start make drivers for old (crappy ) operating systems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol,

But is xp really that crappy?

I thought everyone was wanting to steer way clear of windows 7?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I like 7. Pretty much every one I know that has tried it likes it as well.

Yep all new pcs you find are going to have 7 installed. You may get lucky and find a new laptop that may have drivers for xp but odds are probably not. Honestly you ought to try 7. My guess is you will like it.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I like W7, though I really had no major complaints with Vista. I'm running W7 on three computers at present, and Vista on six more. XP on my netbook.

With Vista or W7, I use TweakUAC to disable those obnoxious UAC popups and I disable the sidebar as I find it uses too much desktop space.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by freebird73717 View Post
    I like 7. Pretty much every one I know that has tried it likes it as well.

Yep all new pcs you find are going to have 7 installed. You may get lucky and find a new laptop that may have drivers for xp but odds are probably not. Honestly you ought to try 7. My guess is you will like it.
    some Dell business edition comes with both w7 and xp pro
    Quote Quote  
  7. Some Toshiba Models come with Downgrade media for XP Pro. That installs a complete with drivers and Applications for XP when used.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SE14man View Post
    lol,

But is xp really that crappy?

I thought everyone was wanting to steer way clear of windows 7?
    Everyone was wanting to steer away from Vista as far as I know. My, computer geek , relatives use Win7 and it's great!

I didn't mind Vista too much because I disabled a lot of the pop ups, as the person above did.

It only gave me some problems with games and a few other things. But yeah, XP Pro is great. I still use it but will be getting Win7 soon to put on my new PC as soon as I get it built.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I been running XP Pro/SP2 and W7 Ultra side-by-side on the same machine (dual booted) for several months, and both are totally stable and fast. However, no questions about it, XP snaps into screen faster than W7. Almost instant loading of system screens (of course I am running SATA hard drives). I am not saying XP is better, and I definitely am being picky, but that is what I noticed. I would say that if someone is an extreme gamer and the game will run on XP, there would be a faster response time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    XP is nearly a decade old OS and two generations back.

Laptops in particular need a current OS.

XP is still alive only because business users have written custom apps for NT or XP and long ago fired the writer. They live behind firewalls and limit internet access. The others are gamers that just use the OS for boot.

Home/mobile users need a modern supported OS. Laptops by definition need hardware optimization and reasonable security for wireless internet connection.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only have a few real complaints about Windows 7. A couple of my old peripherals that I don't use often were incompatible because of driver availability, and a handful of my older programs don't seem to work quite the same or have to be run in compatibility mode. I still have my old Windows XP machine if I need it.

I'm only a couple of weeks into Windows 7, so I suppose I could still find a big problem with something, but I'm adapting well in spite of not liking change in general. Some of the improvements, like the new Media Center and the new Paint are very nice. It will still take me a while to become truly comfortable with it.

What puzzles me is the big push towards 64-bit versions of Windows 7. How many people are going to make good use of it in the forseeable future compared to how many are going to find their camera software etc. won't work with it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The thing that seems to prevent a lot of older apps from loading is the transition from 32 to 64 bit. I have a lot of old apps that ran on 32 bit, even old DOS apps like Windows 3.xx Cardfile. No go on my 64 bit W7.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Xp is just fine for my HTPC and with the bricopack vista crystalxp it looks like Vista see here, near perfection i say.I wouldn't change it for the next 5 years.

Win7 use lots of ram like vista if your laptop can handle it fine if not > xp
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote