VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The video can be saved as .flv and .avi. Which format is better and why? I need to creat a DVD disc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on video codec and settings. Just flv and avi doesn't say us anything. Give more info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best format is whatever format the original/source video is in. Any re-encoding risks quality loss, so if you're, say, downloading videos from YouTube, which uses FLV/MP4, and then converting it to AVI, you'll be risking taking a video that wasn't in great quality to begin with (as YouTube re-encodes everything when you submit it), when you re-encode it to AVI. There are DVD creation programs that will accept FLV videos as source, so you shouldn't have to convert, if it's not absolutely necessary.

As for the technical side, I believe FLV videos are limited to specific codecs, like VP6/Sorenson and h.264. An AVI can theoretically have many different kinds of codecs in that container.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FLV = container
    AVI = container

Like walking into a bar and ordering a "cup of liquid".
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mmmmm, cup of liquid
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    The best format is whatever format the original/source video is in. Any re-encoding risks quality loss, so if you're, say, downloading videos from YouTube, which uses FLV/MP4, and then converting it to AVI, you'll be risking taking a video that wasn't in great quality to begin with (as YouTube re-encodes everything when you submit it), when you re-encode it to AVI. There are DVD creation programs that will accept FLV videos as source, so you shouldn't have to convert, if it's not absolutely necessary.

As for the technical side, I believe FLV videos are limited to specific codecs, like VP6/Sorenson and h.264. An AVI can theoretically have many different kinds of codecs in that container.
    You said keep the original video format. Is there any way to know the online video or movie format before or after downloading? I have downloaded a movie by using the downloading option. When I tried to save it, it provides the following options, FLV, 3GP, MP4, SonyPSP, APPLEiPhone and AVI. Since I do not know the original video format, I do not know which format I should select to save the movie and then convert and create DVD. The downloaded movie is in the servier in my account. So I need to save it into my computer and then I can create a DVD. That's the project.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't sound like you are just downloading, but downloading and converting. How are you downloading the video ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    It doesn't sound like you are just downloading, but downloading and converting. How are you downloading the video ?
    The movie has downloading button. After downloading, the user needs to save the movie in a computer; otherwise, the user has to logon to watched the movie. I want to save the movie into my computer and then create DVD. When saving, the user needs to select the saving format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What software are you using to download the videos? If it's a web browser, are you using a plugin (and if so, which one)?

Are you downloading from a public service like YouTube (in which case, it won't hurt to mention which service it is), or a private service (you did mention you have to log in to watch videos)?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote