VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

Recently I've been trying to convert an .MKV file to DVD using AVStoDVD. The video conversion seems to go well and when I'm done I have my two DVD structure folders, I try playing one in VLC to make sure everything is fine and while the video is fine, there is no audio. The source audio is DTS @ 1536kbps.

I tried a few times to get the audio to work and finally figured out what was going wrong. In the Audio/Video preferences in AVStoDVD I had the "Keep DVD Compliant Audio" box checked. This kept the audio at DTS 1536kbps and apparently did no audio conversion. I know this program does not support DTS encoding, just DTS track retention, so if it simply retains the original DTS track, unchanged, wouldn't that work fine on a DVD?

On the next go round I decided to uncheck the "Keep DVD compliant Audio" box, and the audio was converted from the source DTS 1536kbps into AC3 @ 448kbps. I went to the VIDEO_TS folder the conversion had created, played the file in VLC, and voila, I had sound finally.

Now I don't know a whole lot about video conversion, but I'm pretty sure DTS @ 1536kbps is much better quality than AC3 @ 448kbps. But for some reason when using AVStoDVD with the "Keep DVD compliant Audio" box checked, it retains the original DTS track, and I'm stuck with a file that has no sound (although it SHOULD work). As soon as I uncheck the box it converts it to AC3 and there is sound.

I'm not sure why this is happening but I would like to keep the original DTS track and make that work on DVD. What am I doing wrong? I'm almost certain I'm overlooking something here as I'm a bit of a novice. I'd appreciate any help, Thank You!
    Last edited by |StarscreaM|; 16th Mar 2010 at 03:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You probably have no DTS encoder on your PC. Did you burn your resulting DVD disc (with the DTS) and try it in your DVD player? Did it play ok? (Assuming your DVD player is DTS compatible) Personally i would opt for the AC3 448k as it reduces the resulting audio file size thus leaving a greater bit rate for the video itself and thus maintaining increased quality.

I prefer to use popcorn for the audio conversion and then drop the resulting file into DVDFlick. Each to ones own on software choice tho.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't know about a DTS ENcoder, but I do have a DTS decoder, as the original .MKV with DTS audio plays fine in my media player. I suppose I could just use the AC3 448k, but I still would like to know why they original DTS track will not work, when from what I understand, it should work as it is with no conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies for ther typo

Uninstall ac3filter if present. Install ffdshow, if not already present, as your audio filter. Look at the configuration and also how the audio mixer is arranged and tweak accordingly. Fingers crossed it should work ok. Did the original DVD with DTS still play in your DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It should be converting the file, as DTS at 1536 kbps is not DVD compliant (and eats a lot of space, as a side issue). Max bitrate for DVD audio is 768 kbps for DTS, 448 kbps for AC3, and 1536 for PCM.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I did not attempt to burn the DVD as DVD DL's aren't too cheap, and the Video TS files had no audio when I played them in VLC, so I didn't even bother burning the DVD.

I have the CCCP Codec Pack installed and my settings are below, I use FFDShow as both my DTS and AC3 decoder:

guns1inger, it was definitely not doing any conversion of the audio. When it successfully converted the audio to AC3, the audio encoding window looked much different. When trying to do it with DTS it came up with several repeated errors and didn't look anything like a successful conversion.

Quote Quote  
  7. If final DVD does not have audio (with 'keep DVD compliant audio' on), it means that Muxman has not recognized the retained track (DTS in this situation) as DVD compliant and it skips that track.

Unfortunately the only way (so far) to avoid that problem is to switch off 'keep DVD compliant audio'.

@guns

DTS @1536 kbps are DVD compliant, even if they are very often problematic, mainly when they come from a BD. I'm working on a workaround to handle this kind of problematic tracks.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  8. So the above FFMpeg window looks correct? And the problem is in Muxman? It is weird because it does not give any errors, it just doesn't work.

I am glad to see this is a common problem and not just something I'm doing wrong however. And yes, the DTS Track is from a PAL BD.

Now, I have one final question, when I am encoding the audio from DTS to AC3 448kbps I am able to use the Wavi+Aften and FFmpeg+Aften encoders with success, however when I try encoding using QuEnc it fails. Anyone know why this is? I have used the QuEnc in the past to encode into AC3 and it has worked fine, but recently it keeps failing.

Thanks again for your continued patience and help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @|StarscreaM|

The above FFmpeg window shows that the DTS track has errors. Muxman does not accept that DTS tracks and it is right.

QuEnc should be used as backup of Wavi+Aften / FFmpeg+Aften. Do not worry if QuEnc doesn't work while the 2 others do.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well thank you all for the help, I think I've finally got everything figured out.

@_MrC_ Is there anyway to tell if a DTS track will have errors or not when put through AVStoDVD? It's rather inconvenient to be encoding a movie for 8 hours only to find out in the end that the DTS track did not work.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by |StarscreaM| View Post
    @_MrC_ Is there anyway to tell if a DTS track will have errors or not when put through AVStoDVD? It's rather inconvenient to be encoding a movie for 8 hours only to find out in the end that the DTS track did not work.
    Next AVStoDVD release will include a DTS check out routine that warns the user about any errors found during DTS demuxing.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thank you very much for all the help. It's greatly appreciated. I look forward to the next AVStoDVD release.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello..

I have a big problem white AVStoDVD 2,5,1

it the same problem white there are no Audio when I convvert Mkv files... and I have try evething from in here and help from others..
    http://www.billedeupload.dk/?v=Ogz0U.jpg

http://www.billedeupload.dk/?v=PsX2b.jpg

http://www.billedeupload.dk/?v=vulEd.jpg

http://www.billedeupload.dk/?v=SvBe8.jpg

this is just at few of my problems.. when i try to convert vampire daries så the subs are bigger then sceen.. and i can not get them smaller.. write to me on my mail dengodemand@hotmail.dk.. so can i show the other pics i have..
    Last edited by Denmark; 8th Jan 2013 at 03:23.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have no luck with the image links. That's the message from the browser:

Du vidrestilles til denne adresse:
    http://www.billedeupload.dk/?v=Ogz0U.jpg

Why don't you use the forum image attachment capability?

Byeeee
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have try that and its not workning... sorry
    Quote Quote