VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Just checked this out for the first time, using it to remove a couple minutes worth of extraneous material at the tail end of a Divx-5 AVI video file. I had no guide or instructions, but it seemed fairly straightforward. It looks like the Save after edit did a re-encode. I can burn this for playback (not on the computer, as I prefer to judge these things on a better and larger display), in order to do a direct comparison with the original, but am I likely to find any any significant loss of PQ ?

In the Avidemux menus, I noticed items for building an MPEG index, or rebuilding one. Is this comparable to the video file repair feature in VideoRedo ? (Except that the one in VRD works with .MPG only ?) I think Womble may have such a feature also, but would have to double-check that.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you cut only on a Key Frame and select COPY for both video and audio it should not re-encode anything. When you import an MPEG file into AviDemux....it automatically asks you if you wish to build an index. I doubt it has anything to do with "repair"....but I could be wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If you cut only on a Key Frame and select COPY for both video and audio it should not re-encode anything. When you import an MPEG file into AviDemux....it automatically asks you if you wish to build an index. I doubt it has anything to do with "repair"....but I could be wrong.
    The section cut out started on "black space" -- nothing visible there -- so I could not say if that was a Key Frame or not. I did not chose COPY, though. Just marked the Begin "[" and End "]" section points, then chose CUT. The apparent re-encode occurred when I saved the slightly shorter file. I did not know about other ways to skin the cat .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AviDemux has TWO ways to advance (and go in reverse)....by FRAME....and by KEY FRAME. A key frame may not fall exactly where you want to place the cut.....but that is the price you pay to save a re-encode.
    Quote Quote