VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I haven't had much experience with HDMI but I hope someone can help me with some questions about it.

I just had to fix some stuff on my dad’s "media computer" and while I was at it I updated the graphics card so he can watch in Hi-Def on his new TV. The card is just a basic ATI HD2400 pro with only the typical VGA and DVI connectors. After I installed the card I noticed a new device "High Definition Audio Device" in device manager (OS is XP-pro btw). My understanding is that this is for a HDMI connection through the graphics card, but the this particular graphics card doesn't have a HDMI connector, it only has VGA and DVI.

Now I've seen DVI to HDMI adaptors before (I've even got one here that came with another graphics card I bought some time ago) so I assume that HDMI can actually be output from a DVI connector. Is that correct? My other question is, would I be able to connect (through the DVI to HDMI adaptor) this graphics card to a TV's HDMI input and use it for both video and audio?

BTW. I don't have a TV with HDMI input available to test this until I take it to my Dad's place later in the week, so any info on what to expect will be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe. Some cards do have a DVI output that is compatible with a HDMI adapter and some cards do have audio output. But some require a cable from the sound card to do that. Check your cards manual and see if it accepts a DVI>HDMI adapter. I use one with my ATI HD 3870 card. Your card would also need to be able to output 1920 X 1080 or a acceptable HDMI resolution. The final problem may be whether the card is capable of outputting HD at an acceptable rate for HDMI display. I had to upgrade to that 3870 card before I could display Blu-ray video smoothly.

I would try your HDMI adapter and see if it plugs in. You should also see a setting for the audio card to enable/disable HDMI audio. I disabled mine as I use a projector without sound. I use the sound cards S/PDIF coaxial output to a surround sound amp instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the info redwuz. Sorry I have no info on the graphics card, it was just an old one I had laying around, but I figured it would have to be better than the "via unichrome" onboard graphics he currently had.

I just took a good look at the DVI to HDMI adaptor that I have and it isn't actually meant to be plugged directly into a graphics card. Rather it is meant to plug onto the "monitor" end of a normal DVI-DVI cable, in effect making it into a DVI(out) to HDMI(in) cable. It fits onto the end of a standard DVI cable.

More info. Initially I wasn't even planning on using HDMI on this computer. It was just that after I installed the card and the graphics drivers there was a new entry in device manager (with the exclaimation point complaining of no driver installed) called "Hi Definition Audio Device". I googled it and found that it needed the "ATI HDMI Audio" driver pakage, which I downloaded and which certainly seems to be the correct driver as it installed without problems and made the exclaimation point in device manager go away (and the new device is now listed as "ATI High Definition Audio Device"). The above made me think that the card must indeed have HDMI output capability, seems reasonable right.

One problem I've got is I don't know how to test it. I expected to see this listed as an alternative device (alternative to the C media wave device or whatever the sound card is) in the windows mixer, but I see nothing there. Should I expect to see this only if it is connected to a HDMI device, or should there be some setting in control panel of somewhere that I can find some options for the HDMI audio?

You should also see a setting for the audio card to enable/disable HDMI audio.
    Where would I look for that?
    Last edited by uart; 15th Mar 2010 at 12:24.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by uart View Post
    I expected to see this listed as an alternative device (alternative to the C media wave device or whatever the sound card is) in the windows mixer, but I see nothing there. Should I expect to see this only if it is connected to a HDMI device, or should there be some setting in control panel of somewhere that I can find some options for the HDMI audio?
    I have that exact card in my HTPC, and yes, it can handle 1080p just fine. I use a DVI->HDMI adapter.

I too got prompted to install the High Definition Audio Driver (did a complete re-install just two weeks ago). Here it is in Device Manager under Sound, video, and game controllers:

ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio-ATI AA01

My audio setup is like Redwudz', so it's not doing anything. I can find no settings for it, so maybe it will show up if you connect it .
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    On my computer, it's in the 'Sound' settings control panel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	15209
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	858

The 'Realtek Digital Output' is the S/PDIF coaxial output from my motherboard sound card that I use for audio. It's hooked to my surround amp. The 'Digital Audio (HDMI)' was installed when I added my video card. It shows 'Not plugged in' because my HDMI display is off at present.

There is more involved if you want to watch Blu-ray, namely High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), which can cause problems. And you need to check which version of DVI socket you have. There are several. If you have a compatible one for HDMI, you would probably just need the correct DVI>HDMI adapter.

HDMI can be a real PITA to set up. Your computer needs to be up to handling HD video, along with your video card, and HDMI complicates it further.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    I have that exact card in my HTPC, and yes, it can handle 1080p just fine. I use a DVI->HDMI adapter.

I too got prompted to install the High Definition Audio Driver (did a complete re-install just two weeks ago). Here it is in Device Manager under Sound, video, and game controllers:

ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio-ATI AA01

My audio setup is like Redwudz', so it's not doing anything. I can find no settings for it, so maybe it will show up if you connect it .
    Thanks heap for the info fritzi, so you're successfully using DVI-HDMI for the video stream while still using analog for audio stream, is that correct?

On my computer, it's in the 'Sound' settings control panel:
    What OS is that redwudz, is it Windows 7?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah. actually I'm using onboard RealTek HD Audio Manager, not a discrete audio card, and routed through the HDTV, and digital out to an amp and speakers. So only in the sense that the audio is separate from the HDMI cable, is my setup similar to Redwudz'. Plenty good enough for me. I don't see the HDMI HD audio anywhere in my settings.

I can't remember if the DVI->HDMI adapter came with the card or I just had it in a miscellaneous parts box. But I think it was included.

Again, that card is perfectly capable of 1080p video, and unless you intend serious gaming, should be okay. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    S/PDIF is digital audio. Yes, that particular computer is running W7, but I suspect the audio settings are from the Gigabyte MB chipset for audio and likely the same with Vista. XP does use different audio handling than Vista and W7, but I only have XP on a couple of PCs.
    Quote Quote