VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys, sorry for my english. I have this dvp5990 and I was wondering about buying the PQI H560 500GB. My question is, will it work? I was reading about power limitation and I'm not sure. I know about file limitation - 300 folders and 648 files each. Thanks for reply!

Tom
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about this particular drive, but here are some general rules.

Drives with external power (that means you must connect the drive to electricity) are best. Drives that get power via USB may or may not work.

The drive will need to be formatted as FAT32.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hmm... thanks for reply so u think that 500GB 2,5" will not work ? Please answer it's very important becouse I don't know which type of disk should I buy, 2,5" or 3,5". Greetings
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The DVP5990 user manual says that "The USB socket does not support the connection of other USB devices except to a USB flash drive." Better borrow external drive with external power for a test.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A 2.5" external drive will probably work because it uses a low power laptop drive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When USB support is limited to Flash Drive, it means that the device can't supply the load with 0.5 A current, which is necessary for 2.5'' external HDD. This type of external HDD is not so low power as somebody may think.

Again, better make a test. Or buy another DVD player without such restriction. Philips DVD recorders are not quite reliable anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Many people with Philips DVP-5990 DVD players are using 2.5 inch external drives without external power. Obviously, you won't know until you've tried or found someone else how has the exact same drive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    The problem is I didn't find anyone with 500GB 2,5" hard disk
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I don't have 2 USB port in dvp5990 so power booster is useless
    Quote Quote  
  10. That's why I said you would need the wall wart USB power supply.
    Quote Quote  
  11. my wd 250gb(2.5) works with no issues .I'm not sure if the 500gb size is the issue or the external enclosure chip isn't compatible with certain players

Quote Quote