VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello forum,

I am tired of burning and storing DVDs and have purchased WD TV live so I can store movies on an external drive instead. Now I must get busy on how to convert from DVD format to a format that is friendly for the WD TV live media player.

First I need to extract the VOB to MPEG2 format. I have been using VOB2MPEG but it doesn't demux the English and Spanish audio that both my wife and I use. It randomly chooses the first audio it finds and joins it to the MPEG2 stream. Is there a tool that will demux the video stream and 2 separate audio streams from VOB format? Even more greedy is there one tool that will do all this and extract the separate subtitle streams (SRT format) too?

Any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    File Formats Supported Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9 Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
    Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=735
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hech54,

You sent me to a link of the media player I already own. I am trying to convert my video to a friendly format for this player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What part of "the player you own already supports the format(VOB files) they are in right now" don't you understand?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, if there's no specific reason, don't spend time for converting. If the player supports VOB, leave it as it is. There is a risk though in keeping lots of material on HDD. HDD is not as reliable as DVD. Keep making copies of good movies.

Why VOB is not friendly enough?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jacoman View Post
    Now I must get busy on how to convert from DVD format to a format that is friendly for the WD TV live media player.
    With SD DVD don't do anything. just rip them. Rip to file set (video_ts folder with .VOBs) or right to image (.iso). Either way in fact is fine. WD will play them fine and keep all the audio and sugbtitle tracks which you can select witht he "info" button on your WD.

If you are compressing for space I suggest you consider stripping main movie out with dvdshrink reauthor mode uncompressed first (that is very fast and easy). You will find occasional exceptions, but that the average SD (non blu ray) movie is about 4 to 4.5 GB (some are 3 GB uncompressed some 7). 4GB is only $.028. spending any time compressing or converting for space, for which you spend time and will get lower quality is almost never worth it at current and ever decreasing hard drive coasts.

with blu ray for your WD, they will play, but you may wish to compress some of those 30 or 40 gb files. It took me about three or four tries to get a system with ripbot264 for maintianing all audio and subtitles tracks in mkv with a excellent quality and a good amount of compression.
    Quote Quote