VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I searched all over the internet and read through the 6 pages of threads here without finding an answer. I hope somebody knows what I'm talking about.

I want to burn some avi/mkv files onto a BD-R/RE disk as a data disk. Why? Because my LG BD370 blu-ray player can play individual files so I don't need to author an entire blu-ray video disk. This is actually to re-archive my DVD's full of avi files.

The closest I've got to an answer is the from the DVD Media lists on the BD390 which someone mentions I have to follow the "Blu-Ray structure" for the player to recognize individual files.

Anyways, I've tried Nero 9 and the latest IMGBurn without success. I've just tried to burn them as files themselves using both the UDF and ISO/Joliet systems. No luck as my player just pops up a "Can't read disk" error message. Luckily, I've just been using a BD-RE so no financial harm done.

Does anyone know if what "following the Blu-Ray structure" means? Does that mean I have to place my avi files into a BDMV folder? Or does it mean something else?

A few data points:
    1) All the avi files work on my blu-ray player as I pre-tested them via the USB port.
    2) The LG BD370/390 is supposed to be able to play BD-RE disks.
    3) I've been using Verbatim 2x BD-RE's.
    4) I'm using a LG BH10LS30 burner (the latest) so I don't expect it to be a burner issue.

While I know my way around CD's and DVD's, I just bought my burner so I'm a complete noob on BD disks.

Any help is definitely appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've got a sneaking feeling you are suffering from a lack of clarity in the player's manual.
    1) I don't see rewritable BluRay discs on the list of playable discs in the specs.
    2) "following the BluRay structure" most likely means...a BluRay disc.....just like the VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS structure of a DVD.
    I don't think it means "throw some data files on a rewritable BluRay disc". I think it is the "data on a BluRay disc" that is your sticking point.
    From what I have read....I don't think it does that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your player can play the files as is then you only need to burn them as data - no BD structure is required. You can do this imgburn.

If you want to create a BD-RE or AVCHD then you will have to re-encode the files then author them. Multi-AVCHD is a pretty good program to start with and will also create some basic menus for you. AVCHDCoder is another option if Multi-AVCHD doesn't work for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thought I'd update this thread.

After sleeping on it and not getting much sleep because of it , I tried putting my avi/mkv files into a BDMV folder, and... it works!

In case anyone's going to look at this thread in the future, here's my steps:
    1) Use IMGBurn using steps just like the Guide on burning BD disks in the IMGBurn forums.
    2) Placed my avi/mkv files into a BDMV folder. It's possible to use subdirectories within that folder.
    3) Selected only the BDMV folder for burning. Used UDF2.50 as the file system.
    4) Burned away and works great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So you made a data BluRay disc?....and your player accepts it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup. The LG BD370/390 can read BD data discs. That's the sole reason why I got mine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. This works for the PS3 also. Really good find!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
    Ok, I searched all over the internet and read through the 6 pages of threads here without finding an answer. I hope somebody knows what I'm talking about.

I want to burn some avi/mkv files onto a BD-R/RE disk as a data disk. Why? Because my LG BD370 blu-ray player can play individual files so I don't need to author an entire blu-ray video disk. This is actually to re-archive my DVD's full of avi files.

The closest I've got to an answer is the from the DVD Media lists on the BD390 which someone mentions I have to follow the "Blu-Ray structure" for the player to recognize individual files.

Anyways, I've tried Nero 9 and the latest IMGBurn without success. I've just tried to burn them as files themselves using both the UDF and ISO/Joliet systems. No luck as my player just pops up a "Can't read disk" error message. Luckily, I've just been using a BD-RE so no financial harm done.

Does anyone know if what "following the Blu-Ray structure" means? Does that mean I have to place my avi files into a BDMV folder? Or does it mean something else?

A few data points:
    1) All the avi files work on my blu-ray player as I pre-tested them via the USB port.
    2) The LG BD370/390 is supposed to be able to play BD-RE disks.
    3) I've been using Verbatim 2x BD-RE's.
    4) I'm using a LG BH10LS30 burner (the latest) so I don't expect it to be a burner issue.

While I know my way around CD's and DVD's, I just bought my burner so I'm a complete noob on BD disks.

Any help is definitely appreciated!
    Try using bd-r instead of bd-re, and burn to udf 2.50 or 2.60.

PS: I don't think you need bdmv folder - bdmv folder is a part of blu-ray movie structure. My sony bdp-s280 supports data bluray discs without bdmv. BDMV and its subfolders and CERTIFICATE and its sublfolders are required for BD-video discs, but then you need to use some bd authoring software instead of just putting the files in a folder (MultiAVCHD is the software of choice for me). The only problem with my sony bluray player is that it doesn't fully support avi and mkv containers (plays mp4 with h264/aac with no problems) and has no srt subtitles support whatsoever. That's why I prefer bd authoring (multiple subtitle tracks, menus,...) instead of burning data bd's (I use data bds only as backups with multi part rar archives and recovery record).
    Last edited by FlankerB; 25th Jul 2014 at 07:04.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure why you felt compelled to grave rob an almost 3 year old thread to add to it.

The whole BDMV thing is bizarre and must have been a weird requirement of that particular player. That's definitely not normal. I don't remember this thread and didn't participate in it originally but I've never heard of this being necessary other than this thread. In fact some of our members recommend various LG BD players for their file play capabilities, so I don't think that's a requirement any more in their models. That may have been a problem that got fixed with a firmware update long ago.

Telling us that Sony doesn't fully support AVI and MKV is no surprise to me, given how consumer hostile they are in general. At this point you really have to go back more than 10 years in the past to get to a point where Sony actually cared about their consumers and wasn't run by paranoid *******s from the movie and music side of their company who think that all human beings are thieves who want to steal Sony's stuff.
    Quote Quote