VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    I've bought a new Nokia N9x phone, which supports mp4 format video.
    I found with its own Realplayer only play xvid, divx, for h264/avc if the bitrate higher than 480 kbps the video and audio got jammed.

But after analyze the video from its own camera shot, the bitrate is above 3600kbps but playback smoothly and vividly. In Gspot it shows below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	nokia_shot.jpg
Views:	2557
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	838
    -mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
    - 3gp4: 3GPP Media (.3GP) Release 4
    - isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
    -Recommended Display Size: 640 x 480

I searched the whole web again and again, I only learnt it was named Mpeg4 part2 format. I get no codec to convert my xvid into this format though I tried Super and TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress, no result is that format.

Name:	super-setting.jpg
Views:	1874
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	839
    Also I found in Nokia ‘s mass storage there is a mp4 movie with high bitrate and resolution but playback good. The Gspot report is:

Name:	mp4-codec.jpg
Views:	2645
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	840
    -mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
    - isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
    - mp41: MP4 v1 [ISO 14496-1:ch13]
    - avc1: MP4 Base w/ AVC ext [ISO 14496-12:2005]
    -Recommended Display Size: 640 x 360

Any one who knows please tell me how to convert xvid to this format?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by xjohn; 13th Mar 2010 at 18:51.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not an expert, but the MP4 container can hold several types of video streams: MPEG1, MPEG2 (both rarely used for this container), H263, MPEG4-Part 2, MPEG4 ASP (xvid, divx, Nero Digital, etc...), VC-1, WMV and H264/MPEG4 AVC. The mp4 files that don't play smoothly, if the video bitrate is higher than 480 kbps, have H264/MPEG4 AVC video stream. Decoding of that type of video stream requires very powerful processors, rarely found in smartphones.

It seems that your smartphone records to mp4 container using MPEG4-Part 2 video encoding. Both SUPER and TMPGenc Express can encode to MP4 container using MPEG4-Part 2 for video stream. In the first picture of the SUPER window, you have the drop-down list showing with the MPEG-4 option selected. That MPEG-4 is actually MPEG-4 Part 2.

In TMPGenc Xpress, to encode to mp4 container using the MPEG-4 Part 2 video stream you have to choose "MPEG-4 file output" and on the right, for "Stream type" choose "ISO MPEG-4 format". After you press "Select", in the "Format" window, try any of the first four "Output container types" (Normal, ISMA compatible, Portable game console, or iPod video) and use the "Advanced simple" profile. One of those four outputs should work for your phone (Normal probably). The other fields are self explanatory.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by avreader1; 13th Mar 2010 at 22:26.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Xvid is an MPEG 4 Part 2 encoder (aka MPEG 4 ASP). Xvid4PSP has lots of cell phone MP4 container presets. Also try AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    avreader1 said: SUPER window, you have the drop-down list showing with the MPEG-4 option selected. That MPEG-4 is actually MPEG-4 Part 2.
    Thanks. but actually in Gspot reports it's not mpeg4v2, but for TMPGenc Xpress I should choose PSP type, it's mpeg4v2, otherwise not.

I'm trying Xvid4PSP, the result format is okey, but the image get out of ratio , I'm really confused.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try simply changing the fourcc from XVID to MP4V.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Regardless of what you think you understand from what Gspot is telling you, TMPGenc Xpress and SUPER DO encode to MPEG-4 Part 2 video stream in mp4 container. I'm inserting below two screen captures of the MediaInfo results (a much better tool than Gspot and less confusing) for two test clips I've just created with TMPGenc Xpress and SUPER from the same source. In TMPGenc I used the "Portable game console" container type, "Advanced simple" profile and "Level 5". SUPER is not as capable as TMPGenc Xpress. Its output came at the same aspect ratio as the video resolution, although the source aspect ratio (SAR as in Sample Aspect Ratio) was 2.35:1. TMPGenc Xpress output has the same 640x480 resolution but the aspect ratio is 2.35:1, like the source. I can tell you how I did that if you're curious.

The point I'm making here though, is that both these two clips have MPEG-4 Part 2 video streams and one has been created with SUPER and one with TMPGenc Xpress.

Name:	clip.mpeg4.super.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	845Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.mpeg4.psp.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	846
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Thanks brother avreader1 , I'll try the settings you recommended and I'll use MediaInfo.

But actually I tried other tool before this post. the Free Zune Video Converter works good for me, It's simply and output is compatible in my N9x, but the tool is a little low efficiency.

My aim is to play high quality mp4 in N9x, the resolution should be 640x480 , bitrate about 1200kbps, I found only xvid,divx,mp42, 3GP_release 4 will do.

I managed the xvid and divx, half-managed mp42, but no idea about 3GP release 4, I've also tried 3GP Converter but with poor quality result.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Xjohn, I'm not sure I unerstand what you need. I don't have a Nokia N9x, so I don't really know what is capable of. First of all, what player do you use? You've mentioned RealPlayer that came with the phone. Is that it? Second, you say that RealPlayer can play xvid, divx, mpeg4v2 (I assume you mean MPEG-4 Part 2 in mp4 container), and 3GP. You didn't mention if there is any quality difference when playing any of these different video streams. You also didn't mention the type of containers that you played these streams with. Xvid, divx and mpeg4v2 can come in AVI, MP4, 3GP and other containers (MKV, OGM, etc...) When you say xvid plays on your phone, what do you mean? An AVI file with Xvid video, or a MP4 file with Xvid video, or a 3GP file with Xvid video? Same question about DivX or mpeg4v2 (MPEG-4 Part 2).

I don't think you can encode to 3GP container using resolutions for the video stream higher than 356x288. At least I don't personally know any encoder capable of doing that.

Why is your aim to play high quality MP4 in N9x? Why is the container important for you? What if you can play high quality AVIs? You must understand the difference between the container (AVI, MP4, 3GP, MOV, FLV, VOB, TS, etc...) and what's inside. Inside are at least a video and an audio stream (sometimes more audio streams, plus one or more subtitle streams). The video and audio streams inside the container can be encoded with different codecs, depending on what that particular container supports. That's why a MP4 file, for example, can play smoothly with a high video bitrate and another MP4 file can play very badly at much lower bitrate. It's because the first file may have a mpeg4v2 or xvid video stream and the second an AVC video stream.

Smartphones are very good at playing the MPEG4-2 Part 2 video stream. It doesn't matter if the video stream is inside an AVI, 3GP or a MP4 container. The processors that come with the phones are not as capable as the processors in computers. The MPEG-4 Part 2 decoding is much less demanding on the processor than xvid decoding, divx decoding and the worst, AVC decoding. Consequently, if you want to convert your videos and movies to play on the phone, do several encoding tests of the MPEG-4 Part 2 video stream to find out which is the highest video bitrate the N9x processor can handle at 640x480 resolution. When you know that, set for a container. 3GP and MP4 are preferable because they work with the AAC audio codec, while in an AVI container you have to use the older, less advanced MP3 codec.

If you have TMPGenc Xpress software, stop looking for any other encoder. It is better than anything else out there at the hobbyist level. Spend a little time to learn how to use it. You'll then be able to do anything you need for your phone and home theater video needs. You can ask for help in the VideoHelp.com forums. There are very many experts here who can help you with that.

Last question. Why do you need to convert xvid to mpeg4v2?? You said that RealPlayer can play xvid (even if you didn't specify in what container). On my smartphone for example I want to convert divx to mpeg4v2 because divx is too complex for the ARM processor I have on my phone and the videos stumble on scenes with a lot of motion. Why do *you* want to convert xvid to mpeg4v2?
    Last edited by avreader1; 14th Mar 2010 at 22:38.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Correction about the video resolution inside the 3GP container. It actually can hold resolutions higher than 356x288. I even have a 3GP encoder capable to do that (Joboshare 3GP Video Converter), but I've never used it at more than 320x240, because that's the maximum resolution for my smartphone. In this case, you may want to consider the 3GP container as well. It has been created for GSM phones and they are VERY happy with it. You'll encounter some problems with the aspect ratios while converting videos to play on your phone. I've been faced with those problems myself, but after pulling my hair for a few days, I've found some solutions.
    Last edited by avreader1; 14th Mar 2010 at 22:47.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Thanks, bro, thanks for your detailed explanation.

I have realplayer came with my phone and coreplayer later installed. The latter has more features to control.

The video container I used is mainly mp4, m4v, sometimes 3gp. Xvid codec avi also capable of playing on it.

But I found with the same bitrate and resolution, mpeg4(h264/avc or mp42/aac) has more detail than xvid avi . I'm not sure if my eyes deceived me.

Perhaps it's a little crazy to play high bitrate and resolution mp4 in a 320x240 screen, but I don't want to lose the detail in my video. And I can really identify the difference of a 320x240 clip and a 640x480 of the same origin

The reason I convert my xvid-avi to mpeg4v2 is that the xvid-avi has high resolution and bitrate, my phone can't afford it. the source avi are 720p with 4000kpbs xvid.

I'v got a TMPGenc 4 Xpress in my PC, but I'm not very clear about all the setting in ISO-mpeg4 and Mpeg4-AVC , There are lots of parameters , I can't find a detailed guide of that software.

So I 'll test different settings to see the result.

Bro, if you have any idea of encoding 3GP release 4 of high bitrate and resolution, I'm also happy to try on my phone.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ok xjohn! So, the purpose of your original message was to get help on how to convert movies and video that don't play on your smartphone to a combination of container, video stream type and audio stream type compatible with at least one of the two players you have on your phone. Not only xvid, which actually plays fine on your phone, in 3GP, AVI or MP4 container; that is if the video bitrate is something around 1000 kbps and the resolution not more than 640x480. For example, you may want to convert a movie from a DVD you own, to play on your phone. On the DVD the movie is in VOB container, a MPEG2 video stream type at approx. 6000 kbps, with several audio streams of the AC3 type and several subtitle streams.
    To recapitulate, what you need to learn is what containers are supported by your players (OGM for example is probably not supported), then what is the maximum video bitrate for different type of video streams that can be played in those containers. As you noticed yourself, mpeg4v2 can be played at much higher bitrates than AVC. You have to do some test encoding for AVC, divx, xvid and mpeg4v2 video streams. You may also want to check if the FLV container is played by your players. I have CorePlayer myself, version 1.3.0 build 6213, but it doesn't play FLV.

About the players. I didn't use RealPlayer in the last ten years so I don't know anymore what it can do. CorePlayer is the BEST player for all the mobile platforms. However, it is not perfect. One thing it doesn't do is read from the container file header the aspect ratio where the video has to be played at. There are encoders and codecs that can write this information in the files header. Some players, like SMPlayer and VLC can read that info and play the movie at the correct aspect ratio, even if the video stream is encoded using square pixels. CorePlayer doesn't do that. If you play a movie encoded at 640x480 but with an aspect ratio of 2.39:1 (named Panavision and used in AVATAR for example), CorePlayer will play the video stretched on the full screen, vertically and horizontally, ignoring the aspect ratio field in the container file header.

CorePlayer does have some aspect ratios that it can enforce. Those are under Menu, 7 Options, 8 Pixel Aspect Ratio. It can enforce Square, 4:3, 4:3 NTSC, 4:3 PAL, 16:9, 16:9 NTSC and 16:9 PAL. 2.35:1 is not there though and that's the aspect ratio most used by the movie studios these days.

Let's assume you have a movie that you encoded with square pixels, at the whole resolution supported by your phone (640x480=307200 pixels). You did that to use all 307200 pixels for rendering the image. The aspect ratio of the original is 1.85:1 (the so called Widescreen). You can ask CorePlayer to play this movie at the 16:9 PAL resolution which is not 1.85:1 but is pretty close, particularly on a smartphone. If the original resolution is 16:9, you set 16:9 for aspect ratio on the player and you're covered. However, if your movie has Panavision aspect ratio (2.39:1 but referred most of the time as 2.35:1 as the old Cinemascope aspect ratio), you're out of luck with CorePlayer. To watch the movie at the Panavision aspect ratio, you'll have to encode it using one of the two solutions described at this thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/317652-Anamorphic-encoding-to-3gp-container.

I asked the original question on that thread, but I answered my own questions later, with two different solutions.

You're right that at the same video bitrate AVC looks better than xvid, or mpeg4v2. MPEG4 AVC is one of the best encoding schemes these days, video quality wise (VP7 and VP8 by On2 are better in my opinion, and Google's, who just purchased On2 recently). It is particularly designed for better video quality at lower video bitrates, but the encoding scheme is so complex that it requires very powerful processors to decode. Most smartphones available on the market today will have problems playing AVC at video bitrates higher than 512 kbs.

Theoretically, a video can be made with virtually the same visual quality, using many different codecs. There are many variables, but the first one is the video bitrate. A xvid video stream at 2000 kbps will look better than an AVC at 512 kbs, everything else being equal. I'm saying this to stress that you don't have to get stuck with AVC if what you want is video quality. Encode to divx, xvid or mpeg4v2 at higher video bitrates and you'll get the quality you want. The price to pay is file size, but with a 16 GB SDHC card, like I have in my phone, it's a small price to pay.

There are two 3GP encoders that I have and I know are good. One, I've mentioned before is "Joboshare 3GP Video Converter". The other one is "Any Video Converter Professional". Both are full blown encoders, capable to encode to video formats for most mobile devices, not only 3GP. I've used them only for 3GP though, since for almost everything else I use TMPGenc Xpress. Any Video encodes to 3GP in two passes and automatically adds the aspect ratio to the video file header. Joboshare has a field where you can enter the desired aspect ratio. As I've mentioned above, it doesn't help with CorePlayer, because that player simply ignores the aspect ratio field. For anything else, but movies with the Panavision aspect ratio, both encoders are very good and create good quality 3GP files, VERY fast.

If you have other questions and you think I can help, please feel free to ask. If I don't know (I'm just a hobbyist not an expert), most likely somebody else on VideoHelp.com forums could jump in to help.
    Last edited by avreader1; 17th Mar 2010 at 01:50.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Thank you so much!

Your words are pro enough. really helpful.

I've tried several container on my phone, avi(xvid, divx), 3gp, mp4(h264/avc, iso mp4v2), as the mp4 has high compression rate.

I chose to encoder any video to H264/AVC 320x240, 400kbps; 44100KHz, 80kbps aac audio, it saves my storage space as well as conversion time.

My phone has a built-in Realplayer, I can't get the ver. info. I don't know where to update it neither can I get its setting.

If it can't play it displays "can't play", but if it starts to play it never get the video or audio jammed.

Also I've Corelplayer installed ver. 1.36, it can open most movie format, avi, flv, mpeg, etc.

But usually for high bitrate file, it can't play smoothly. One thing can't be tolerated is that when playing high motion video, like running and fighting scene, visible blocks going up and down.

I tried all the available settings, but no way to solve this.

OK, I'll encode 3GP using the software you recommend. thanks.

In adition to TMPGenc Xpress, I use Free Zune Video Converter a lot, it convert Nokia compatible video too , fast and good quality though not much options to set.
    Quote Quote