VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everybody, I did the following video for my band:

A friend of me said the quality in HD was very poor due to the fact that there's no interlace.

I cannot see the problem. Surely there are ugly lines if you are running the film in a window. The video was compressed by youtube from 540MB to 50 MB... Imho the phenomenon disappears running the thing in full-screen. Nonetheless we are trying to improve our quality from video top video, so here's my question:

Is it right that there's a lack of deinterlace and if yes: How do I include interlace in a video i.e. avoid ugly lines in 720p mode?

I hope it's not too unpolite to enter your helpful community spamming your forum with questions and having not even posted yet.... But I thought only your forum experts could help me here.....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ZedsDead View Post
    Is it right that there's a lack of deinterlace...
    Yep, it should have been deinterlaced while being encoded by you. The 720p one looks pretty nasty.
    How do I include interlace...
    Interlacing is the horizontal thin black lines you see when there's motion in the video. You want to get rid of the interlacing - deinterlace it. Many encoders have deinterlacers built in. I have no idea how you encoded it (or even if you did), but YouTube won't deinterlace it for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Technique aside, that's one of the best music videos I've seen in a while, pro or otherwise. It feels like a 1980s or early 90s music video, creatively, and it really just went downhill from there. Good sync of the music to acting, several different types of scenes. And even the music's not bad. I don't compliment things like this very often (mostly because people make crap). Refreshing to see something good.

And I didn't see any interlacing lines in the windowed version. Once or twice, maybe, but it moved so fast and pausing a Youtube video frame by frame is about as easy and getting a leash on a cat.

Just export it better next time. For a run-of-the-mill Youtube export, I just run with Adobe Premiere CS3 or CS4 H264 output, since Youtube will re-screw it up some. (I use Reference and go slower when I control final user videos.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for the quick and qualified replies!
    I did the thing with Sony Vegas and have never heard from the importance of deinterlacing a movie during export before. Because if I did I would have searched the forum instead of posting a new thread f1rst

@ lordsmurf (n1ce nick ):

Name:  take-a-bow-thumb3083579.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  25.0 KB
    This is the second video I shot, our first was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Z-shtikB0 filmed with a trashy handycam.
    I hope the upcoming stuff will be even better.

Thanks a lot for the help and motivation! I guess we will be around here more often.

Greetings from Germany

Zeddie
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZedsDead View Post
    our first was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Z-shtikB0 filmed with a trashy handycam.
    I hope the upcoming stuff will be even better.
    There's something odd with the aspect there -- it looks squished, somehow. Still not bad.

That music is some funny stuff. I like it.

Originally Posted by ZedsDead View Post
    Thanks a lot for the help and motivation!
    You've really done well in the creative areas, and not too shabby in the technical.
    I hope your business part goes just as well -- that's always a bear, too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    -- it looks squished, somehow. Still not bad.
    Yes, and that's a lesson I have learned about video editing and youtube that I will never forget: We have the PAL-system in Europe and it seems a well known fact, that if you upload a 16:9 PAL video it gets squeezed during youtube recompression. So I had to render it to ntsc and voilá: there you go

The funniest things during making the video were the scenes with the original 1960ties police uniform. We shot the outdoor stuff directly before our home. The 2kW lights in combination with the uniform caused a big traffic jam, because a truck refused to pass the scene - maybe the driver thought he would get a ticket hrrrhrr
    Quote Quote