VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I recently moved to Mac from PC, and my keyword-guesses aren't helping me determine basic information about the functions of .dmg and .cdr containers.

When I burned DVD for display on the PC, for either computer or stand-alone players, I took ISO for granted.
    Now I'm wondering if all three container types will work on off-computer machines.
    (I don't have a stand-alone DVD player nearby, for testing.)

It seems that .iso files will play on Mac system, but that .dmg files likely won't play on a Microsoft system.

If I burn a .dmg or .cdr to a DVD, will those DVDs play on a stand-alone DVD Player?

(If this information is in a tutorial or/and FAQ, would you point me to it, I couldn't sift through all the hits that my keywords were getting.)

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Groami Geistalt View Post
    It seems that .iso files will play on Mac system, but that .dmg files likely won't play on a Microsoft system.
    They can be much alike, but not nessecarily. .dmg files are disk images, but this suffix alone says nothing about the filesystem, built-in compression, read/write access, and a few other disk image parameters.

Originally Posted by Groami Geistalt
    If I burn a .dmg or .cdr to a DVD, will those DVDs play on a stand-alone DVD Player?
    Only if the type of disc image is DVD-Video (VIDEO_TS etc) with a UDF 1.0.2 filesystem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    *.dmg is an Apple OSX disk image (proprietary)
    *. cdr is a Corel proprietary disk image.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi

Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Only if the type of disc image is DVD-Video (VIDEO_TS etc) with a UDF 1.0.2 filesystem.
    ...If "Disc Utility" isn't using a UDF 1.0.2 filesystem, then it wouldn't matter whether it's compressed files to a .dmg, or .cdr container...

I'll try to find a way to determine what filesystem Disc Utility is using.

(I'll also just burn to a DVD and test it on a standalone player, but I'm interested in learning some of the behind-the-scenes stuff.)

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Groami Geistalt View Post
    If "Disc Utility" isn't using a UDF 1.0.2 filesystem, then it wouldn't matter whether it's compressed files to a .dmg, or .cdr container...
    The Disc Utility GUI will use Apple HFS+ for new disk images (empty or from folder), although it can copy, read and mount ISO 9660, HFS, UDF 1.0.2 (DVD), UDF 2.5 (BD) and a few other file systems as well.
    There are more file system options for new images if you go command line (i.e. using Terminal). Several free and shareware third party disk image tools take advantage of this in GUI form, by scripting in the background. Commercial disc burning apps (like Roxio Toast) also offer disk image options in other file systems.
    Last edited by Case; 12th Mar 2010 at 01:09.
    Quote Quote