VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Tried the new WinX DVD Ripper and seems pretty good, but no selection to convert to VOB files. Any program that will convert from WinX DVD Ripper output to Shrink without the time consuming remuxing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I guess now we are supposed to ask what this product is so you can handily provide a link to it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's a crap DVD ripper + shrinker + converter.
    I have it on my laptop, it was free at giveawayoftheday some weeks ago.

I plan to review it in detail, and then likely uninstall and delete it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Will await your review. Just thought it might be an extra ripper for those troublesome discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing special about it but it is free.

http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by juststarting View Post
    Will await your review. Just thought it might be an extra ripper for those troublesome discs.

Why on earth would you conclude that? "Those troublesome discs" are ones that use copy protection methods like ARCCOS that free rippers don't keep up to date with.
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is the same company that offered the beta of WinX_BDDecrypter free of charge a couple months ago. The offer lasted a week or so. It actually worked for me on an older release (Narnia), reports of some other users to the contrary. But then I tried it on a newish disc, Amelia I think it was, and of course it failed.

No loss though, it took some doing to get it to work, no options at all, and it was a bit balky. A couple times I thought it had locked up, and that was when it worked. Uninstalled.

[EDIT] BTW, it never was added to the Tools section. Good thing. If you want to buy a decrypter, get AnyDVDHD.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I thought it said this version had free updates--how often I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Regardless of the dubious merits of said program, obviously you have managed to rip a disc to your HDD with it. What did it give you that you now cannot use ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The straight copy function gives you mpeg; the other choices are AVI; MP4; MPEG; WMV; FLV; MOV; iPod; iPhone; AppleTV; PSP; 3GP; Zune; Music.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks a bit nonsensical to me...another "chinese ripper"
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then to get something you could use in DVD Shrink you would output to mpeg-2, hope that this programs doesn't needlessly re-encode, author the mpeg-2 back into a DVD structure, then open that in DVD Shrink.

DVDFab HD Decrypter would be a far easier solution.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DVD Fab HD doesn't keep up with new releases like they used to. AnyDVD updates more often, but seems like you have to go thru double duty. Have to rip to DVD9 then open in Shrink, but doesn't seem to give correct gigs until you save as DVD9 then reopen in Shrink and are now able to see proper % of shrink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I keep getting doom9 thread reply emails -- lately all of them have been spamming WinXDVD!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi, I'm new here. I gave this software a try last night after trying a few others with not good results or not what I was expecting. The latest one to try was the free winx dvd to divx, I assume this is the same software (by Digiarty) It doesn't have anywhere to set preferences, so its basically one or two click type GUI. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a ripper that will convert dvd videos to divx in avi container with subtitles . This one did it! It kept the aspect ratio at 720x480, and had nice subtitles with a black background on the video, so it was easy to read. But, the problem was, when I played it on my Philips DVD player, it would stop when I would hit the fast forward button. Ah, shucks. My player became unresponsive and I had to unplug it to get it to start correctly. But,. the quality of the video looked excellent as did the sound, choosing aac over mp3. I guess I'm writing here as I'm hoping someone will steer me to a software that will convert dvd, either a disc, video_ts folder, or even an iso image, to xvid/divx and choice of mp3 or aac ac3 audio. Oh, must be able to include subtitles. I also downloaded avidemux, but I haven't tried it yet. I have tried acidrip in linux, but I'm guessing at bit rate or file size and get a jumpy playback with what I do choose.
    Velma
    Edited to add, that we enjoy watching videos on our dvd player, and most of my experiments play fine on the computer, but we want to be able to watch them in the living room while sitting on the couch. And yep, we still have a CRT television.
    Last edited by Velma; 20th Dec 2012 at 20:52. Reason: additional info
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Did you even bother to read the post's before digging up an almost 3 year old thread ?!?!?!

It's crap software!!

Not to mention other issues.....
    How did you burn it ?
    What speed ?
    What media ?

A lot of times video will play fine on a PC then burned to crap media or with crappy software, to fast, etc and not work on a standalone.

Take some time to look through the forums, read a little, search, tools section.....

I could not even bring myself to read that whole long ass post with no breaks!!!
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 20th Dec 2012 at 22:26.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Velma, unfortunately, with your first post, you have been subjected to the rude, unnecessary, and boorish behavior often posted by Noahtuck and a few other misanthropes on this board. Fortunately, they are in a minority. However, they are all too often fast on the keyboard, fast with the snide comments, and self-important in their tirades.

It is inexcusable, to put it mildly. Yet, Noahtuck can sometimes provide good information, if you can sort through the boorishness.

Please don't judge this board by the likes of Noahtuck and the other like individuals you may "meet" here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post
    Please don't judge this board by the likes of Noahtuck and the other like individuals you may "meet" here.
    Quote Quote  
  19. No problem. The retort reminded me something my brother-in-law would type when dealing with someone he thought less savant-like than he is. Or someone with ADHD that has little patience, period.

Since the thread was a bit dated, I wanted to share how a recent version of it worked for me: Winx Free DVD to DivX Ripper 3.1.1.8. It failed at 'reading index' while loading, which is probably why it locks up the machine if I try to fast forward the video.

I have been taking time reading at several video forums, plus blog how-tos and ended up installing suggested software then uninstalling many of them due to giving a wrong aspect ratio not supported by the player, or the resulting 720x480 giving a slightly vertically stretched image, lacking subtitles, or only mkv or mp4 support, like VidCoder. So far the only one that has worked fairly well is Acid Rip in Linux, so I will give that a go again to see if I can improve the outcome. I use DVD+RW 4x Verbatim and burn at 4x speed with ImgBurn. In Linux I use K3b at 4x burn.

Thanks, Cobrapilot and hech54 for your kindness~ I get these replies to my posts at other forums as well, but not often. The recent instances happened at the Debian forum and the hometheatre forum. Pure impatience as some people get annoyed with someone who doesn't know how to do something and want help and assume they haven't searched for a solution, or control freaks (perfectionists) when you don't do something the way they think it should be done, or someone that types more than four sentences.
    Velma
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Velma, unfortunately, with your first post, you have been subjected to the rude, unnecessary, and boorish behavior often posted by Noahtuck and a few other misanthropes on this board. Fortunately, they are in a minority. However, they are all too often fast on the keyboard, fast with the snide comments, and self-important in their tirades.

It is inexcusable, to put it mildly. Yet, Noahtuck can sometimes provide good information, if you can sort through the boorishness.

Really ??
    You want to single out me ?!?!?!
    I am amongst the tamest here, even though I should not be at times with idiotic post's!!

I apologize, would you care to explain to me again why my CD player will not play music ripped from my CD's and that I burned to a DVDR ?
    It's the same size disc and fit perfectly into my CD player!!!

Oh wait, I forgot, common sense does not come into play here, or that super secret hidden search option....
    And what is google ?!?!?
    Who ever heard of effort.......

LMAO!!!

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You better be!!!!
    LOL!!
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 21st Dec 2012 at 22:18.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Noahtuck, your followup post simply proves my point. Can you possibly fathom that?

Newbies have no way in h*ll of knowing that your tender sensibilities have been warped so many times in the past that their possibly super-newby question will put you over the top once again. Were you never a newby, helped by the more-tolerant?

Nothing the OP posted is remotely equivalent to what you've mentioned, and your rude response was totally uncalled-for.

So, yes, I'm calling you out, but certainly not singling you out. There are a small number of misanthropes here who too often have no sense of common courtesy, tact, and appropriate comments, and I certainly include "I'm with stupid" in that group. That small group proves it time and again.

Regrettably, with your latest post, you seem to take pride in that, so, again, I rest my case, QED.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Skipping one reply when it got to the 'would you tell me...something about a CD not playing..." as it was, how shall I put it, long-you know.

Hi Cobrapilot, once again, you are appreciated for sticking up for the newbies. If you and hech54 hadn't been so compassionate, I would have disregarded this forum.

Back to subject: Posting here again as I had success this time. I saw the that the same company (Digiarty) has a free winx dvd to xvid version 4.1.1.6 and gave it a try, figuring if it failed at creating an xvid that would play in my stand-alone player, than it really is poopy software. It did an excellent job, and easy as it only takes a couple of clicks and it was done in about 1 hour 40 minutes on my computer. The subtitles, white on black were partly on the image and partly on the black bottom border, which was better than other similar software I've tried where the subtitles are placed at the bottom of the image. So, if you are looking at something that will convert a dvd video to xvid without being too complicated, especially if you are new at this like I am, then I suggest giving it a try.
    Velma
    Quote Quote  
  23. Velma, what you have experienced here is a factor of newbies not knowing what they don't know. This is often, I suspect, because they've run into a problem or challenge that may have been discussed or solved time and again. The newby doesn't know that, and asks the question. They're not stupid, just ignorant of the accepted practices, preferences, and protocols.

Some veterans of this board have seen the same type of questions, lack of experience, etc., etc. come forth from these newbies and just can't for the life of them understand why the same type questions arise. For some reason, they deem it necessary to come down on such newbies like a ton of bricks. I guess it makes them feel superior by trying to make others seem inferior. They overlook the reality that such attitudes pull us ALL down.

As to not knowing what they don't know: The newby may not have enough experience with boards like this to understand that they really should read the board rules before posting, do a search to see if the problem has already been discussed and solved, understand that resurrecting old threads is considered a no-no, and other protocols.

I'm sending you a private e-mail for some other information you might consider.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thanks, CobraPilot, will check out your PM.

I would hope the learned folks would then ignore the newbie section if it irks them that much. Just don't reply. If I post a question and no one answers, I continue to search elsewhere, or ask my husband who's been away. He gave me the clue why playback was problematic in our player - choosing AC3.

It happens in both software (dvd to divx, dvd to xvid). Selecting MP3 works fine in both. The only similar problem at this forum was that playback stopped halfway through the movie when using AC3 audio format. I did find here from another forum

Regards, Velma
    Quote Quote