VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. (I apologise if this is in the wrong place or has been asked before)

I recently bought a DVD of a series and unknown to me at the time, it was a bootleg.

At first the dvd was fine but after two or three episodes into it, the audio and visual became terribly out of sync and I'm unsure of how to fix it.
    Is there a way to resync the dvd without ruining the picture quality (which surprisingly, is quite good).

Also, I am a bit of a noob when it comes to such things so if you could please explain what to do, that would be quite helpful.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Copy the entire disc to your hard drive, run it through FixVTS....then play in a software player like PowerDVD or VLC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the problem is poor authoring then FixVTS probably won't do much to help you. You lose nothing by trying it, but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that you will finish the process there.

I would use VOB2MPG to get all the titles out of the disc to mpg files. If you get separate titles for each episode, things will be easier. If you have one big title, you are in for a lot more work.

Best case scenario - you get separate titles for each episode, and the sync issue is a constant delay issue. The fix is to play the files back, one at a time, in MPC. Use the numpad + / - keys to adjust the delay until you get the title in sync. Note the delay (in milliseconds). Load the episode into AVI Demux, tick the Shift box in the audio section, enter your delay amount, with video and audio both set to Copy. Save the new file, and play test it. If all goes well, the file should now play correctly. Repeat for all the files until they are all in sync, then author a new disc.

Note : If you have an authoring tool that lets you alter the delay when authoring, you can skip the AVI Demux step. DVD Lab Pro is one such authoring tool.

If the sync issues come from poor encoding or format conversion, getting them back in sync will mean using an audio editor to time stretch the audio to fit, and will take a lot of trial and error. If this is the case, it would be easier to just demand your money back, and to buy a legitimate copy.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks alot guys, I will give both a go and hopefully one of them will work.
    Quote Quote