VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recently had a DVD I wanted to edit, blanking out a portion at the end of the last VOB file and adding a documentary to the compilation from another DVD.

Much to my surprise when tried to process with DVD Shrink 3.2 I got a 'invalid navigation structure' message. Knowing the disk was undamaged and would play, I copied all the files on the DVD using file manager programme onto a new folder I'd created on my hard drive. Then used VobBlanker to process the last Vob, saving the new file to the same folder on my hard drive. That done, I recalled that running the whole folder through the free programme fixvts, nearly always fixes Shrink navigation errors for me. I opened Fixvts, drag and dropped the whole h/d file into it. You can also launch Shrink from fixvts which is what I did. The H/D video files should be processed as if you'd been able to open the DVD in the first place. Hopefully anyway!

If not you might like to try this: I've not used it myself, (so no promises):

DVD Shrink work round
    I found a work around for Shrink. When getting the message, "Invalid DVD navigation Structure". Instead of clicking on "open disk" - Click right away on "re-author". Go to the "my computer" drop down list and choose your DVD player/reader. Do what you want from there and it should work.

Test your re-processed DVD on a R/W disk - saves on disks!
    Last edited by bahjan; 9th Mar 2010 at 12:25. Reason: addition
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That sounds like a problem with newer encyption on DVD discs. Shrink hasn't been updated in years. Sony discs with ARccOS encryption cause all sorts of structure problems. If you decrypt the discs properly, that should fix most Shrink problems. fixvts should do the rest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input 'redwudz' - I take your point absolutely, but the disk I was trying to re-author was not encrypted, just an older DVD I'd made that I wanted to recreate in a new version with additions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I remember reading about that "work-around" many years ago. It had something to do with the menu structure created by some DVD recorders. One of the last upgrades to DVDShrink addressed the problem but didn't completely fix it. The rule is that if you press STOP on your recorder...then add another title to the disc....DVDShrink probably cannot open it. One title is/was the rule.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I remember reading about that "work-around" many years ago. It had something to do with the menu structure created by some DVD recorders. One of the last upgrades to DVDShrink addressed the problem but didn't completely fix it. The rule is that if you press STOP on your recorder...then add another title to the disc....DVDShrink probably cannot open it. One title is/was the rule.
    But this could probably be fixed after the fact, No ? (If it was a disc worth going to the trouble for.) Some combination of a disc-rip + running it through FixVTS + PGCedit (if necessary) ?

I'm a heavy DVDR user and am pretty sure that I've done this in the past with some DVDR-made discs, where FixVTS was sufficient. The one difference would be that I generally don't stop / start, adding titles, but rather have everything together and burn it at high speed in one shot. There are some other funky structural things the standalone DVDR can introduce, and this procedure should make them compliant.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is a DVD that YOU made, you only need to copy the disc. No program should be needed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dialysis1a View Post
    If this is a DVD that YOU made, you only need to copy the disc. No program should be needed.
    DVDShrink it still a VERY handy tool to use even with home-made DVDs.....like being able to extract "point A to point B", or just one chapter...while having the ability to view what you are taking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because DVD Shrink still wouldn't process the disk or files properly, even by the methods mentioned earlier, this is ultimately what I did to reauthor my disk:

1. Used VobBlanker to edit my final vob cutting out 4.00 minutes at the beginning I wanted to keep. Saved it to a file I'd made on my h/d.
    2. Copied all vobs I wanted from the original DVD into the same file on my hard drive - fortunately they were in sequential order, but you need to make sure they are before you continue. I played the files in turn through my PowerDVD player to make sure they were right.
    3. Used Imgburn in 'build' mode - added each vob sequentially from the file in my h/d and created an iso file saving onto the same file on the h/d. (or you can add the whole file is you like). I ignored any messages about files not found and clicked 'yes/ok' when asked if I wanted to continue anyway.
    4. Used Imgburn in 'write' mode to burn iso file to DVD R/W. (Checked it in 'test' mode first), then burned it at at least half speed of my media - (I usually stick to x4 x6 or x8) - verifying the disk as well.

The only disadvantage with this method is the lack of chapters and the slight pause between vobs during playback. I tried using the free programme Join Vobs to merge them before burning, but it seemed to cause playback problems. (sigh!) I might try putting new disk through more processing - if I can be bothered.....!

Thanks to all who replied - I didn't know burning to disks in sessions before finalising could be such a problem. I'll get my head around ifoEdit and PgcEdit as I think they could have been of use too.
    Last edited by bahjan; 12th Mar 2010 at 08:37. Reason: addition
    Quote Quote