VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty much what the thread title says...

I did some web searching, and all I could find were various forum threads from a couple years back.

Have there been any changes to the questions of whether the PS3, or iPod, support the playback of MPEG-4 subtitles?

I had attempted using MP4box to embed SRT subs, but they didn't show up in either the PS3, or my iPod.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The ipod supports soft subs. Use subler or muxo or Srt iPhone.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, the Srt iPhone worked for the iPod (5g). Guess it needed to hex edit the mp4 into the usually protected m4v format.

I guess people will just have to wait and see if Sony ever adds PS3 sub support for MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Huh...What? View Post
    Pretty much what the thread title says...

I did some web searching, and all I could find were various forum threads from a couple years back.

Have there been any changes to the questions of whether the PS3, or iPod, support the playback of MPEG-4 subtitles?

I had attempted using MP4box to embed SRT subs, but they didn't show up in either the PS3, or my iPod.
    Download the latest mp4box beta and mux with the -ipod flag. This basically changes how the srt files are muxed into the container (if you hex edit the file they are called sbtl rather than text). That is supposedly what the ipods need to see. I was just researching this myself and was going to try tonight. I have verified that the srt files are now muxed in as sbtl rather than text, but I haven't actually loaded one on my nano.
    Quote Quote