VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

I am having difficulties playing H264 videos. I am trying to play this video in WMP11, but it won´t play no matter what. So I gave up using WMP11 and downloaded VLC to ease things a little. The problem now, is that the video plays jumpy, does not play smooth. The funny thing is that, when the video is inside the container (MKV) it plays smooth, even in WMP11.

What I am trying to do is play only the video, without audio or subs. In fact, what I am trying to do is to create my own subs with Subtitle Workshop 4, but it won´t render H264 videos.

Any suggestions ?

BTW, I have already installed ffdshow and Haali media splitter...

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. most players cannot play raw h.264 video streams, so leave it in the container

if you want, you can use mkvtoolnix to remove subs & audio (uncheckmark), so only video is left

another reason to leave in container is there are timestamps, to keep it in sync.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, you're not intended to play a raw video stream. Use MKVmergeGUI to make a new MKV with the video stream and the subtitle file (probably in SRT or ASS format).
    Quote Quote  
  4. and if you find subtitle workshop crashes all the time, try aegisub ; much better IMO
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello,

Thank you all for the enlightenment. As you may all see, I am tottaly new to this H264/AVC stuff.

Just to let you all know, what I am willing to do is to add 2 subtitle tracks to a movie + audio.

So, what I learned up to now, I need to create a container (MKV) with the video+audio, open it with SW (or aegisub as one friend has mentioned), create the subtitles (SRT will do fine, since could never get around with SSA) and then add the 2 subs to the MKV...

Am I in the correct track?

Thanks again....
    Quote Quote  
  6. That should work. In Aegisub, you create a new subtitle file, then go to Video > Open Video, then Audio > Open Audio from Video. Then you can see the audio waveform.
    Quote Quote