VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys seem to having a problem with sending email to hotmail account using outlook 2007, when sending a mail I get an undelivered message in my inbox saying:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: **********
    Sent: 07/03/2010 20:51

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'***********@hotmail.com' on 07/03/2010 20:51
    550 Recipient Rejected: Relay not allowed

This seems to only happen when sending to hotmail accounts, any suggestions how I can fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I ran into the same problem, but using a different email client, Pocomail. In my case it was because I used a different ISP than my email server was on to try to send mail. Maybe not your problem, but the same errors. Basically, you aren't getting onto your email server for sending. That's the 'relay not allowed' error. You don't have permissions to use their server for sending mail. I did try Outlook, got the same error. I switched back to the correct ISP and the client works fine now.

If that isn't it, check that your password is correct, along with your email address and other settings. Not likely to have changed by themselves, and if it worked before, it could be your email server is blocking Hotmail. I suspect sending to Yahoo mail or others will have the same problem, though. If you have more than one email account on your ISP email server, the email to that would likely work.

And you might check this from MS: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011128331033.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a look at my mail account settings in outlook (tools, account settings) and double clicked on the only account I have, then chose the 'more settings' option. I then went to the outgoing server tab and clicked the 'My outgoing server requires authentication' box and just chose the option use the same setting as the incoming server. This appears to have done the job as I have not had an undelivered message yet!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds good. Glad it was something simple.

In my case I have to use the alternate ISP if I want to send email from my laptop. A bit of a pain because it's much slower than my main ISP and I have to switch ISPs in my Network and Sharing Center. But my main ISP doesn't have a email server and I don't use webmail. One nice thing about a dedicated email client over webmail is I have all my emails, incoming and outgoing since 2003, archived.
    Quote Quote