VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there somewhere I can download small sample videos of the popular video codecs to see if they will work on my devices?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think you're approaching this the wrong way ; various codec can have hundreds or even thousands of configurations. You don't want to download millions of samples each with a different setting.

I think you should be asking "what settings and what particular codecs could I use for my device "
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to convert FLV videos to play on my TV, which has a USB input. The support rep saidit supports this

Video codecs – mpeg2
    Audio – mp3

But there are so many different variants of MPEG, I was curious what other formats might work. I was hoping I wouldn't have to encode all the sample files myself, so that's why I was looking for sample downloads.
    Quote Quote  
  4. you still need to narrow it down a bit , or you'll be downloading or encoding 100's of samples

eg . what dimensions, fps, bitrate are supported ? what profile?

ask tech support or look at the documentation

it might help if you listed the model#
    Quote Quote  
  5. I would start with DVD compatible MPEG 2.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why not look up your TV's product information? I doubt a TV with a USB input is only going to play MPEG-2 and MP3...that would be rather piss-poor.

The technical product info will generally state the maximum compatible encoding settings, resolution, and so forth.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks again for the replies.

Ok, the model is a Haier HL22XSL2. I know, I can hear it now, "you bought a haier tv?". But let me tell, this tv is solid. Much better than the Vizio and Sony I was considering. if fact, the Vizio I ended up returning because it sucked so bad.

Anyway, here is the TV info.
    http://www.haieramerica.com/en/product/HL22XSL2

Supporting media and file format: Digital pictures
    (.JPG/.JPEG/.BMP(Baseline & Progressive)/.PNG),
    digital music (.MP3(8~320kbps)) and Video(.avi/.
    mpg/.mpeg/.vro/.vob/.ts coded with MPEG-1 or
    MPEG-2 standard) files.

So which of those video codecs do you think would be best as far as file size, quality, etc. I'm converting from FLV. I'm not looking at converting it to HD quality. I just want something that will convert relatively fast and is watchable with no sync issues or artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. .avi/. mpg/.mpeg/.vro/.vob/.ts: these are containers, not codecs. MPEG1/2 in AVI is very unusual. I wonder if AVI would include Divx/Xvid (MPEG 4 part 2)?

coded with MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 standard: these are codecs.

I suggest you start by converting a short FLV file to DVD compatible MPEG 2.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It should be just MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, since they'd have stated DivX otherwise (as you see all the Chinese MP4 players and DVD players do). It's piss-poor, but what can you do.

If you intend to regularly watch videos via USB, the continual conversion is going to be inconvenient. You might directly connect your PC to the TV and switch inputs when you want to watch an FLV?
    Quote Quote