VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to be able to save a JPG of a frame at a specific time index from MKV files. What tool will do this? I could do a screen capture and cut out the video portion in a paint program but I need to do this for a ton of files so I'm looking for something more automated than that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it the same frame (time position) in each clip ?

Most players can save a frame, as can virtualdub, however automating the capture of a particular frame would be more difficult.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Different time in each clip. I want to be able to create meaningful thumbnails for icon display on a HTPC and I would have to take the captures manually at various times to achieve that... the automatically generated ones from 10s in or whatever are kind of worthless. I have avidemux for editing but I don't see a way to capture a single frame in that. I also have a couple different players and neither has any facility to capture frames built in.

Edit: Does virtualdub work with MKV? The description on here doesn't indicate that it does. It lists about everything except for MKV. Previous to this I was using some lame editing program that came with my camcorder to do this (ArcSoft Media Impressions) but it does not support MKV.

Edit 2: Also tried ImageGrab but it does not support MKV either.
    Last edited by zdvd; 7th Mar 2010 at 00:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can save stills from VLC, The KM Player or Media Player Classic HC
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote