VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some video encoded in lossless Lagarith on a PC and need to get it to Final Cut on a Mac in the least lossy manner possible. Any suggestions on codec to use? I won't be able to work with Lagarith on the Mac so I need to convert it to something reasonable through virtualdub then move it over. DV-AVI my best bet? Do any editors on the Mac platform support pure uncompressed YUY2 video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As an aside, I just gave up and switched my editing back to the PC. The Mac sure is a great platform, but it appears impossible to move lossless video recorded on one platform over to another...
    Quote Quote  
  3. it has to be in .mov container for the mac. vdub doesn't support .mov export

you could use something minimally lossy like dnxhd (dnxhd is YUY2 4:2:2) , or lossless like uncompressed , animation codec or .png (these are RGB)

you could use ffmpeg to do the conversion (you might need to feed the lagarith through an avisynth script , because I think ffmpeg doesn't decode lagarith)
    Quote Quote  
  4. The PC's better for video compression and manipulation, anyway...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried DNxHD but can't say I had much luck getting it to work in Snow Leopard, and furthermore I'm not seeing it show up as a compression format in Virtualdub...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sphinx99 View Post
    Tried DNxHD but can't say I had much luck getting it to work in Snow Leopard, and furthermore I'm not seeing it show up as a compression format in Virtualdub...

Again, you need a .mov wrapper. Vdub exports .avi only. Any application that uses quicktime API can access DNxHD, this includes, vegas, premiere, mpegstreamclip, qtpro etc...

If you can't get DNxHD to work on snow leopard, then uncompressed , png, or animation in .mov will work for sure.
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 12th Mar 2010 at 19:43.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try converting to Huffyuv in Virtualdub. Should open in FCP....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FCP would be happy with Apple Intermediate format; that's about as lossless as you can get but still with some minimal compression to keep the size down. Anything more compressed than that and you may find you're rendering constantly in order to preview your edited footage.
    Quote Quote