VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a bunch of movies as .avi files which I would like to burn on a DVD so as to play on a PS3. I read on the Ps3 forums that the support of PS3 for playing .avi files depends on the encoding on them. So I am using Red Kawa's PS3 Video9 to convert them into a PS3 compatible format.
    I'll be using Nero 7.5 to burn the dvd. What type of dvd should I burn it as? Should it to be a data dvd or video dvd since nero doesn't detect .avi files in the video cd.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My PS3 plays DIVX encoded avi files, although I have never used it for that. All I'd need to do is burn them off as data and finalize the disc. I have used it as a media server a few times and they played well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any base level Divx/Xvd encoded file will work - no GMC, no qpel. Burn as data with Imgburn rather than Nero.

In the end I found it more economical to buy a 500 GB USB drive and play from that instead
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks worked like a charm. BTW which program do you suggest for converting .mkv file to PS3 compatible format? Should i go for vob or avi?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the quality of the mkv. If it is 720p resolution then I use multi-AVCHD and create AVCHD DVD discs which playback fine and allow for DTS HD audio etc as well.

If it is lower resolution and has only stereo audio then MP4 with AVC/ACC works pretty well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote