VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi there, a friend recently gave me a heap of quicktime videos which i tried to convert to avi or wmv to make them smaler in file size for computer storage but the problem is now some have a black bar along the right side and bottom of the screen when i play them in real player or vlc player, i dare not convert the rest of them of fear the same problem im unsure what i should do to to fix the ones i have already converted or what to use to convert the rest so they wont end up like the same any advice would be helpful
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How did you convert them? What program(s) did you use, what codec, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just buy a small external USB drive and save yourself the grief.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lawbringer View Post
    i have tried 2 video converters from the internet, one called free video converter the other any video converter , the code i think is xvid for avi or wmv v9 for wmv not sure what code is the best though or what is the best free converter that wont cause the black bar problem
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh View Post
    Just buy a small external USB drive and save yourself the grief.

i have 2 usb thumbnails but was told there only for file transfering and not storage, i guess i can try to burn them onto dic but jsut wanted them ina smaller compact ending like avi or wmv without the black borders
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quicktime is a container not a video format. What is the video format of these files? Are they uncompressed SD, DV, MPeg, h.264? Are they high definition?

Are these files important to you?

How do you want to use them?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nospam7676 View Post
    Originally Posted by Lawbringer View Post
    i have tried 2 video converters from the internet, one called free video converter the other any video converter , the code i think is xvid for avi or wmv v9 for wmv not sure what code is the best though or what is the best free converter that wont cause the black bar problem
    Could you open up the MOV file in MediaInfo (free tool) and post the results here? MediaInfo will show all the video and audio stream info - codec, bitrate, resolution, etc.

For converters, I would recommend Xvid4PSP, have had good luck with that
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Quicktime is a container not a video format. What is the video format of these files? Are they uncompressed SD, DV, MPeg, h.264? Are they high definition?

when i record on my on camera the file ending comes out as .mov which is a quicktime file, i just want to watch them on any player without having that annoying black bar long the bototm and right side when i shrink them down for computer stoage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

when i record on my on camera the file ending comes out as .mov which is a quicktime file, i just want to watch them on any player without having that annoying black bar long the bototm and right side when i shrink them down for computer stoage
    A *.mov file can be any of a dozen or more video formats. Tells us nothing.

If you can identify the camera, the format can be figured that way.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

Refer to my previous post:

Could you open up the MOV file in MediaInfo (free tool) and post the results here? MediaInfo will show all the video and audio stream info - codec, bitrate, resolution, etc.

For converters, I would recommend Xvid4PSP, have had good luck with that
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have found the programme xvid4psp a good converter for my videos it took care of the black bar problem so thanks for that helpful link
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to help
    Quote Quote