VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some TV shows that I ripped to VIDEO_TS folders. The video files are .VOB, but the folder also contains two .BUP files and two .IFO files.

Metadata scrapers can't easily retrieve metadata for TV shows stored like this. They really want to see one file per episode with all of the files in each season's respective folder.

I know VOB2MPG can convert my VOB folders to a single file MPG, but is there anyway to retain the chapter information in the file? I assume that's what the additional .BUP and .IFO files do.
    Quote Quote  
  2. One way to extract the chapter data is via DVD-Decrypter in IFO mode, stream processing tab.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I ripped the videos straight from the DVD using DVDShrink, so I already have the chapter information. My question is how to convert to a single MPEG and still retain that chapter information in the process.

Unless I didn't understand your answer...
    Quote Quote  
  4. My answer was for extracting chapter data from a DVD or mounted DVD-ISO as a text file (ogg chapter format). To extract directly from IFO files, you should use ChapterXtractor.

MPG files cannot contain chapter data, AFAIK. You have to use a modern container like MKV or MP4. The chapter text file is simply muxed into the container along with the video, audio and sub streams.

Given the above, what you might want to consider is using MakeMKV, which is designed to remux DVDs to MKVs, and I believe retains the chapter data. (See the screenshots on this blog.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote