VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    Does anyone know of a video editing program that has a feature to adjust the shadows/highlights in the video? Or possibly a VirtualDub filter of it or similar to it?
    Brightness/contrast/gamma adjustment is close but I'm really specifically looking for something that'll allow me to adjust the shadows/highlights in the video the same way I adjust them in an image in Photoshop.

Here's an example of what I mean...the top is the unedited picture and the bottom is after shadows/highlights adjustment in PS.

So does anyone know of a program or filter with this type of ability?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ic0jsy.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	682  

Quote Quote  
  2. In vdub you can use gradation curves plugin , which is like curves in photoshop or after effects

colormill plugin is also useful, it has highlights, middle, darks for levels (among other functions)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A few VD filters here, including the ones mentioned: http://www.thedeemon.com/VirtualDubFilters/ I prefer gradation curves above Color Mill for shadows/highlights, but I use them both.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adobe After Effects will do all that you want, and more. You can get a free trial from the Adobe Site.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I agree, Gradation Curves is infinitely tunable. But you can get very close to your PS sample with Levels and HSV. The before image from your post with the Levels and HSV:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Levels+HSV.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	693

Just about all video editor have these controls.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vdub.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	692  

Last edited by jagabo; 5th Mar 2010 at 08:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks guys, I ended up getting some pretty nice results with Gradation Curves + Colormill in Vdub.

Sort of an unrelated question but I figured since this is already on the topic of fixing up/enhancing video with Vdub filters and other editing software that it would be redundant to open up a new thread about it...
    I've also been trying to fix some old camcorder footage from 10-15 years ago but have had no real results with most everything I've tried so far. The video footage has extra lines on the edges of everything (there's probably some term for this but I either don't know it or can't think of it right now) and it's pretty hard to distinguish any real features other than basic shapes. I figured it's a long shot trying to do anything about it since the footage is so old and significantly affected but then again with all the video editing capabilities out there nowadays there could well be something to fix it up after all.

Here are examples of what I mean:

Is there any sort of filter or software that could help clear up the picture any?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote