VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please, guys, I need your help.
    My DVD-ROM doesnīt read the DVD, it tries to read it, but the drive doesnīt end, blinking all the time.

Serching in internet, I found that this is a copy-protect DVD, called Becker hole method. The DVD is not read by DVD writers, only by players. I attached a photo of the DVD, using this method.

Do you know how to by-pass this ?

I thank you in advance.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Becker.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	660  

Quote Quote  
  2. Where did you find this so-called "Becker Hole" information on the internet? I tried and couldn't find a thing.

Is this a burned DVD vs. a pressed one? Looks like a burned one from the photo.

Have you tried using a permanent marker and darkening the two spots just to see what happens?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    looks to me it's purposely done to prevent ripping the files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure that you're not just fishing for a way to test a copy-protection method that (you think) you came up with? That's kind of an old method, but I haven't had any trouble ripping them with any of the new methods (ie. programs made after 2002).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jsilv
    ...this is a copy-protect DVD...
    No, it isn't. It's a horribly defective disk, made that way (on purpose) by some idiot with a drill.

...called Becker hole method.
    What a crock. Drilling holes in a dvd isn't a "method"...it's a symptom of brain damage. Apparently, "Becker" is, in fact, a monkey who couldn't meet the IQ requirement for participation in the excrement fights in the monkey cage where he lives.

You don't "by-pass" defects in a defective dvd, you return the dvd for exchange or refund. If a contract is involved (for example to record a wedding), it's time to lawyer up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VegasBud View Post
    Apparently, "Becker" is, in fact, a monkey who couldn't meet the IQ requirement for participation in the excrement fights in the monkey cage where he lives
    That has to be Videohelp's quote of the day
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. They used to do that with floppies that were "copy protected". I have not seen that with a DVD but if the DVD player can play it, just what is on the disk that needs to be copied? If it is only a video and you are desperate to copy, have you tried using a "capture card" to capture the video from the output jacks of the DVD player? Not the best way but it may suffice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post
    Where did you find this so-called "Becker Hole" information on the internet? I tried and couldn't find a thing.

Is this a burned DVD vs. a pressed one? Looks like a burned one from the photo.

Have you tried using a permanent marker and darkening the two spots just to see what happens?
    Hi guys, thanks for replying and excuse me if my English isn't clear.

I think it's a burned DVD. I tried to shut/close the mark; although the photo shows a hole, and this works too, they are making just a press on the media.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    looks to me it's purposely done to prevent ripping the files.
    Thatīs right.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k View Post
    Are you sure that you're not just fishing for a way to test a copy-protection method that (you think) you came up with? That's kind of an old method, but I haven't had any trouble ripping them with any of the new methods (ie. programs made after 2002).
    Yes, I'm fishing for a way, but not to test the method and all of you. I'm sorry if that's looks like so, but thatīs not the case. I knew that old drives that only reads DVD can read this too; if the drive is a recorder one, it doesnīt read, it remains blinking without end.

Try this: press two marks on a dvd (that was working) like at the photo, put it to play in a PC.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VegasBud View Post
    ...this is a copy-protect DVD...
    No, it isn't. It's a horribly defective disk, made that way (on purpose) by some idiot with a drill.

...called Becker hole method.
    What a crock. Drilling holes in a dvd isn't a "method"...it's a symptom of brain damage. Apparently, "Becker" is, in fact, a monkey who couldn't meet the IQ requirement for participation in the excrement fights in the monkey cage where he lives.

You don't "by-pass" defects in a defective dvd, you return the dvd for exchange or refund. If a contract is involved (for example to record a wedding), it's time to lawyer up.
    Your words are funny and fit to relax, but doesn't solve the question.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OldMan64 View Post
    They used to do that with floppies that were "copy protected". I have not seen that with a DVD but if the DVD player can play it, just what is on the disk that needs to be copied? If it is only a video and you are desperate to copy, have you tried using a "capture card" to capture the video from the output jacks of the DVD player? Not the best way but it may suffice.
    Thatīs a good idea and I will try it.
    Quote Quote