VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm having weird interference issues with the AG-1980. On new or old tapes I can see color patterns that do not go away even when I pause the tape. It does seem to be a bit worse on older tapes. It gets worse when there is a lot of red on the screen. I'll need to capture some examples, but another thing I know is that the front LED panel is completely dim until the machine has been on for a while, then it lights back up. The color banding also seems to become progressively less pronounced the longer the machine has been turned on. If switched to black and white mode, I cannot see the interference.

Does this sound like something needs replaced? And is there a good repair shop in the DFW area that could help me fix this thing? Sorry for being vague, I'll try to get capture examples as soon as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I had read that breaking the ground loop seems to help with issues like this from another thread. I have not converted the plug yet but I did decide to try plugging it into my Sony PVM 2030's AC plug on the back of it and it did seem to alleviate the issue somewhat.

The seller of the unit understood my issues and refunded me $50, fortunately, so I paid $50 (with shipping) to have this VCR. With that in mind, would it be worth it to go get a repair quote? I read from another thread that Jots Electronics is a good repair place but they are in Arlington and quite a ways from me, and I don't know if I want to ship this thing and risk further damage.

Has anyone heard of AJ's Electronics in Plano? Or do you know of any good places for VCR repair near Plano? I wouldn't mind somewhere else in the Dallas area too much, but Jots Electronics would be an hour drive so I don't want to have to make multiple trips down there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, but I am also interested in knowing if there is a good VCR repair place in/around Plano. I haven't done any capturing in quite some time (read years), but I seem to recall trying to check into this back then and finding that it was quite expensive to even get someone to look at your VCR, much less fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry for the late reply, but I've been finding the same thing as you, BrainStorm69. People want quite a bit just to look at it, with no guarantee they'll actually be able to fix the issue. I might have to try looking at it myself, depending on the kinds of service manuals I can get my hands on. But if anyone is interested in helping in the DFW area or knows of a good place, let me know. Thanks and take care.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jots Electronics in Arlington, right off of 360 @ Pioneer, is where I'd suggest. If it seems "too far away", then just plan a nice day trip around it to make it even more worthwhile -- maybe go see the Rangers, visit Six Flags, plan a nice dinner out at one of the many restaurants there.

Driving an hour one way in DFW is the norm, to be honest.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Lol, that much is very true, and Arlington is a cool place so it's worth a trip every now and then. I was actually down there last weekend, I wish I would have remembered to bring the VCR with me haha... Plus from your recommendations it seems like Jots is my best option. Everyone else I've investigated doesn't seem like they have the experience. I'll definitely be giving them a call, thank you.
    Quote Quote