VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I'm trying to transcode an avi file containing a video stream encoded with a proprietary VisioWave codec (VWV1) to a 'standard' h264 stream using mencoder built with x264 support (Mencoder264 - http://mulder.dummwiedeutsch.de/home/?page=projects#mencoder264). When trying to convert the file either by command line or through the Mencoder264 GUI, I always get the same error message; here the one displayed when using the default settings (1 Pass) in the Mencoder264 GUI:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "C:\Program Files\MEncoder264 v1.1.9\MEncoder.exe" -sws 9 -vf scale -ovc x264 -x264encopts frameref=6:bframes=3:me=3ubq=7:brdo:deblock:deblockalpha=0:deblockbeta=0:bi me:b_adapt:cabac:b_pyramid:weight_b:mixed_refs:chr oma_me:trellis=1:i4x4:i8x8:8x8mv:b8x8mv:4x4mv:8x8d ct:nopsnr:bitrate=700 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128:aq=0 -noskip -priority belownormal -of avi -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\ConvertionASFtoMP4\ convert\avi2vcd\asfcheck_allframes.x264.avi" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\ConvertionASFtoMP4\ convert\avi2vcd\asfcheck_allframes.avi"
    MEncoder dev-SVN-r19668-4.0.3 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6, Model: 15, Stepping: 6)
    CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
    Setting process priority: belownormal
    success: format: 0 data: 0x0 - 0x1834e70
    AVI file format detected.
    AVI_NI: No audio stream found -> no sound.
    AVI: No audio stream found -> no sound.
    VIDEO: [VWV1] 360x288 16bpp 4.167 fps 55.2 kbps ( 6.7 kbyte/s)
    [V] filefmt:3 fourcc:0x31565756 size:360x288 fps: 4.17 ftime:=0.2400
    Opening video filter: [expand osd=1]
    Expand: -1 x -1, -1 ; -1, osd: 1, aspect: 0.000000, round: 1
    Opening video filter: [scale]
    ================================================== ========================
    Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x31565756.
    Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
    ================================================== ========================
    Exiting...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some facts on my setup:
    - The source video has been recorded using the VisioWave SDK and the source is an analogue video camera.
    - Source file format (as shown by GSpot):
    -- File length correct
    -- Container: AVI v1.0
    -- Video: 23.8MB
    -- Video Codec VWV1 (installed)
    -- Audio: none
    - VCSwap (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/VCSwap.htm) shows: 03.03.2010 09:35:10 : Found possible FOURCC : VWV1 <- Valid
    - WMP can play the file that we want to transcode
    - I've also compiled mencoder with x264 support using Cygwin with the same results and decided to continue testing with a build that doesn't contain known errors (Mencoder264) to avoid introducing a new problem with my own compilation.

What I've discovered so far:
    The problem seems to be with the fourcc code used for the decoder. (Converting any video with a 'known' format works like a charm)
    That's where my knowledge ends. I'm surprised the correct informations for the used codec, resolution, frame rate etc is being displayed, but that the file can't be converted.

Can anybody put me in the right direction on what to do with this video format? Or give a hint on other possibilities to achive this transcoding?

Thanks, Philippe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try loading the file with a simple avisynth script

DirectShow("pathtofilename/filename.avi")

should be enough to get you started.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed!
    For the record, the command to use was DirectShowSource("pathtofilename/filename.avi")

Now I can start fiddling around with the encoding parameters to avoid having the size of the file increase by factor 30 when transcoding
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My bad - it was late when I was typing
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote