VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've been researching for a few days about this subject but haven't gotten anywhere. I can't seem to find one straight answer.

I have a 90 minute feature that I would like to play on a Samsung BD-P1590. This player has a USB port so I can play movies from a flash drive. It say's it will play h.264 video but I think I must be doing something wrong. I've tried encoding to an h.264.mov but that won't play on the BD player.

It's pretty obvious I don't have any idea what I'm doing when it comes to Bluray content. I know a lot about authoring regular DVD's.

Please help me figure this out.

I'm using the Final Cut Studio 2 and I have the Adobe suite CS3 with After Effects and Premiere.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most standalone players need it to be authored with proper directory structure, and accessory files.

On windows, a free application to author would be multiavchd , not sure if there are any on mac ( i think there is a port of tsmuxer for the mac version, you can try that)

Some specific models may have quirks or need special firmware to play properly (check your model's support forum)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the fast reply. I figured it needed to be in a certain structure...probably similar to regular DVD's.

It looks like initial tests work using tsmuxer. I'll do some quality tests tonight.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good luck. I never did get anything to play on the BD-P1590 - you can find my comments on what I did here - but I was only experimenting, so I didn't really spend too much time trying to get a video to work.

I don't think it supports playback of .mov videos. Also, I read from Samsung's FAQ (the exact quote is in the link, above) that the 1590 doesn't play videos from a USB drive, simply because the port isn't USB 2.0.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I actually read your thread before I started this one.

I'll give it a go and see what I come up with.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by hardhatmac; 2nd Mar 2010 at 18:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The top level overview is:

Blu-Ray (the disc) has tight a/v standards and disc structures as summarized here https://www.videohelp.com/hd

Many but not all Blu-Ray players directly play the AVCHD camcorder variant of h.264.

Some specific Blu-Ray players directly play other formats (see manual) but some of those may be restricted by DRM.

Not simple? No they don't want it to be simple.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I can find the free time (and one or more DVD blanks - wonder if the player has any problem with RWs...), I'll try another experiment.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote