VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on a particular Media Center and if there are others that might be better.

What I'm looking to do is have a Media Center that can play my DVD full back-ups (w/ menus, spec. feat, etc.) as if they were playing a normal DVD where the DVD menu pops up, even the little trailers and commercials that pop prior to the DVD menu... like I said, basically something that can play a DVD folder as if it were a normal DVD being placed into your DVD player.

I like the Brite-View BV-500HD Media Player for many reasons: Price, HD compatibility, and it does play DVD folders as if it were a normal DVD being played.

In regards to the Brite-View, any opinions or feedback on how well it runs those DVD files... any qualms or issues with playback of them? No loss of quality or hang-ups and such?

Or perhaps is there a better Media Center that plays DVD files flawlessly?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anything that can play ISO or VIDEO_TS folders would work fine.
    Check out a Mvix box: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036TD2KC?ie=UTF8&tag=thdifa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=17...SIN=B0036TD2KC

I don't know what the Brite-View BV-500HD costs. Don't see it for sale anywhere.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah yes, thank you very much.

This Mvix seems to be a little better than the Brite-View that I'm looking at. More features and probably better functionality.

I'll look into it some more. If I have a few extra bucks to spare, I might even consider going for it.

Here's the Brite-View I was looking at, if you were curious as well...

http://www.amazon.com/Brite-View-BV-5005HD-CinemaTube-Multimedia-Downloader/dp/B002CNO...7500336&sr=8-1

Again, thanks for the find.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Anything that can play ISO or VIDEO_TS folders would work fine.
    Well, the thing is. A family member already has a Western Digital Media Center that they bought for the same price as the Brite-View I'm looking at. Features and functionality are similar.

However, while the WD Media Center plays Video TS files, it does not play the DVD's menus and things. It simply skips through the file information and goes straight to the main feature film. The WD Media Center also doesn't play ISO files.

The Brite-View, on the other hand, supposedly plays the DVD Menus and Special Features imbedded in the DVD folders as well as ISO files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I believe the Seagate FreeAgent Theater supports DVD menus. They're not available yet but look into the Boxee Box and PopBox.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I believe the Seagate FreeAgent Theater supports DVD menus. They're not available yet.
    It does support DVD menus and it's available now
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&source=hp&oq=&q=Seagate+FreeAgent+Theater...wAg#ps-sellers

I'm thinking about getting it to see if it's better than my WDTV and WDTV Live
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I meant the other to weren't available yet. The Seagate has been out for several months.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mvix is a no-name to most folks, but they've been around a number of years now -- they were doing HTPC long before people used the term "media center" or whatnot. Had several conversations with them long, long ago.

Western Digital, Seagate and others are all newbies comparatively.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I meant the other to weren't available yet. The Seagate has been out for several months.
    Ahhh, gotcha...
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Benjaminz View Post
    Hi,

What I'm looking to do is have a Media Center that can play my DVD full back-ups (w/ menus, spec. feat, etc.) as if they were playing a normal DVD where the DVD menu pops up, even the little trailers and commercials that pop prior to the DVD menu... like I said, basically something that can play a DVD folder as if it were a normal DVD being placed into your DVD player.
    DvbViewer can do that i use it daily for all my multimedia & TV (including HD) recordings, timeshift , waking my pc up to record , advance EPG, it can play .ISO as far as i can tell and you get the menu indeed.
    There is none better
    German product is all good
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote