VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need to replace mySony DCR-PC120 camcorder.

Evey noun and then I record some weddings (not very often) and as authoring tool I use Adobe products, premier pro and encore.
    I got pretty good in using Adobe products to get a end result DVD. I haven’t played yet with other editing software, but I’m definitely open for a suggestions.

My budget for new camcorder is around $2000.

My old sonny camera uses miniDV tapes, and I was really pleased with the quality that those tapes have produced.

New cameras are HD, proHD, AVCHD, NXCAM … As more I read about it I just get more confused.
    Some are recording in 1080i others are recording in 1080p.

I’m really having a hard time to decide which one to get.

As right now I will use new camcorder to create single layer DVD 4.7 GB or a dual layer DVD 8.5 GB.
    I’m not ready yet for a Blu-ray authoring, but maybe in the near future.

I hope some of you guys will help me decide which camcorder to choose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDV format. This has beed discussed many times.

Canon HV40 or maybe you can find a used Canon XH-A1
    Sony HDR-FX7
    Sony HVR-HD1000U
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks edDV for responding to my post.
    I will take closer look at those cameras that you recommended.
    However glancing at those 2 Sony cameras I discovered that they are still using miniDV. I'm actually trying to to tapeless.

Sorry if this is a repost, but I did an extensive search on this forum I wasn't able to pinpoint answers to my question.
    Most of them are talking about converting and editing softwares, but couldn't find any post about recommending cameras.
    Last edited by besimky; 2nd Mar 2010 at 12:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by besimky View Post
    Thanks edDV for responding to my post.
    I will take closer look at those cameras that you recommended.
    However glancing at those 2 Sony cameras I discovered that they are still using miniDV. I'm actually trying to to tapeless.

Sorry if this is a repost, but I did an extensive search on this forum I wasn't able to pinpoint answers to my question.
    Most of them are talking about converting and editing softwares, but couldn't find any post about recommending cameras.
    HDV uses MiniDV tape* yes, but they are best for a proven workflow with your editors.

The consumer flash camcoders have serious limitations. The good ones Sony (XDCAM-EX) exceed your budget.

Are you saying you will accept the limitations of AVCHD and are asking for the best AVCHD camcorder?

What kind of computer are you using for Premiere?

* or a Firestore or Sony external hard disk.
    Last edited by edDV; 2nd Mar 2010 at 14:16.
    Quote Quote  
  5. HDV uses MiniDV tape* yes, but they are best for a proven workflow with your editors.

The consumer flash camcoders have serious limitations. The good ones Sony (XDCAM-EX) exceed your budget.

Are you saying you will accept the limitations of AVCHD and are asking for the best AVCHD camcorder?

What kind of computer are you using for Premiere?

* or a Firestore or Sony external hard disk.
    Again thanks for your response.
    As you can see I'm not really aware of the difference between HDV and AVCHD.
    The idea of going tapeless just sound so great, but again I'm not sure if I'm loosing any quality choosing to go that way.

My computer is not the latest and greatest but I"m still doing great job with Adobe products.

I build my PC several year ago, Dual Core AMD Opteron processor 185 2.61 GHz with 4GB RAM. As operating system Windows 7 Ulitmate 64bit.

I'm going to read your additional links and see if will get any answer there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your PC will be adequate for HDV or XDCAM-EX but productivity will be marginal for AVCHD unless a digital intermediate is used*. I assume you are running CS4 Premiere if you are using 64 bit.

*Budget $129 for Cineform Neoscene.

Also budget ~$20/hr (sale price) for flash vs $3-$6/hr for MiniDV tape.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your assumption is right, I'm using CS4 Premiere.

Thanks for the links; they were very informative, specifically on explaining the difference between HDV and AVCHD.
    You said that my productivity would be marginal for AVCHD unless I use an intermediate such as Cineform Neoscene.
    Does this mean that Premiere can’t handle AVCHD format? What is the format of AVCHD?
    Again thanks for your responses, you are a great help in my decision.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CS4 can import and edit AVCHD. CPU determines speed. Even an Intel quad core lags vs. DV standard def.

Each frame of HD video contains 4x to 6x the pixels vs. DV.

If you have experience editing MPeg2, AVCHD is a more compressed MPeg. It is a flavor of h.264.

A digital intermediate converts AVCHD (15 GOP) to frames for faster easier editing. The cost is file size. Cineform uses wavelet intraframe compression for better filter and resize performance.
    Quote Quote