VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Everyone,

I graduated from college with a degree in film and photography. I've spent the last year starting up and managing my own video production company back in my home town. And while business is good and I enjoy the work, I feel that at some point I would like to move on to larger projects that will have wide releases and more social engagement.

I'm unsure where my niche might be in a production environment. So far I've found I enjoy the camera and editing departments the most. I thought I would do an evaluation of my strengths, preferences, and personality and see if you all had any recommendations on what sorts of positions related to visual arts might fit what I'm looking for. I'm really hoping for a wide range of responses, so please don't hold back any recommendations, even if the job isn't related to visual arts / video / photography at all.

Obviously nothing is going to come close to fitting all of these preferences, or play to even a majority of what I would consider my strengths. But knowing it's an over idealized list I would still love to hear your opinions on the types of jobs that came into your mind as you read through. Please also ignore the job market, how rare the position is, or how many years experience would be required, as im more trying to get an idea of where i would like to aim for in the future and not my current odds. Thanks!

-----------------------------

Personality: Theoretical, conceptualist, perfectionist, critical, independent (need some level of autonomy), driven to acquire knowledge / make sense of topics im interested in, dont like large groups of people.

Strengths: Aesthetic sensitivity, very visual learner, imagination, critiquing / helpful feedback, global concepts, systems oriented, organized, good at assessing benefits & flaws of possible strategies and designing creative solutions, graphic design, ability to examine issues objectively, high standards, strong work ethic, attention to detail, noticing patterns and deriving meaning.

Preferences: Intellectual environment, theoretical & intellectual challenges, variety of projects / topics, opportunity to generate ideas.

--------

Here's some additional info I got from a personality test that I think is very accurate about the type of job I would like to have:

"prefer work that makes use of their ability to see inner meanings, implications, and possibilities. it's important to them to find a way of expressing their perceptions. their unique, inner vision of how things could be must be translated into reality."

1. lets them create and develop original and innovative solutions to problems to improve existing systems.

2. lets them work with other conscientious people whose expertise, intelligence, and competence they respect.

3. gives them credit for their original ideas and lets them maintain authorship and control over there execution.

4. allows them to work independently but with periodic interaction with a small group of intellectual people within a smooth running environment free of squabbles.

------------------------------

Let me know what comes to mind, Thanks again!

- Shawn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with editing, color correction (which pays a lot) and post production type gigs is that you're reduced to the role of operator/mouse clicker as some neurotic producer sits right behind you in the editing room and dictates what they want to see. Lots of politics as well. There's a lot of finger pointing and blame gaming when workflow gets delayed or a project gets messed up. Your competency will always come into question by others who will want to place blame on you, especially when deadlines loom. Lots of ADD. There will be times when you think you've lost your mind. Then there are "table turners" who deal with the pressure by dramatic meltdowns, door slams, keyboard launches - unprofessional behavior.

My buddy just finished an eight month job where all he did was replace overexposed sunsets from aerial shoots with clean looking skies. Another friend day in and day out painted out scratches frame by frame on a movie that was being restored for re-release.

Jobs are found by far via word of mouth, at least the decent ones are. You have to have people skills because you'll be working with a lot of freelancers and hired guns who move around from studio to studio and will recommend you if you're cool. Nobody wants to work with an arrogant person, yet the industry is full of Prima Donnas, or "Donnas" as they're called. Always go to lunch with other freelancers. Make friends with many people. Speaking of which, prepare for a nomadic type of career as you finish a project at Studio A and then hopefully find another gig at Studio B, then Studio C and back to Studio A. There will be breaks in your employment continuity.

This is going to sound dumb, but it's true - you'll have more credo to potential clients/employers as an editor and especially a VFX editor if you have a pony tail. Seriously. Mention it to any studio person and they'll laugh but agree.

There are some advantages. The workday doesn't start until 10AM usually and you'll be in a studio atmosphere with high beam ceilings, bricks, exposed air ducts - all the stuff that says you're not in cubicle America. You can dress casually every day.

Actual TV filming gigs pay a lot less these days because of low budget reality TV shows and a reduction in advertising revenue to the networks. You probably could find a good paying job if you get exceptionally great at steadicam operation. Create a reel with some mindblowing footage. It's very rare to have a cushy gig doing something on a hit series anymore. But you won't get gigs unless you're in the union, which becomes a big Catch-22. And most location shooting has moved up to Canada where prices are cheaper. It's a lot like this:
    Last edited by Soopafresh; 3rd Mar 2010 at 00:41.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Move to Hollywood
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I disagree about moving to Hollywood, in this day and age it's best to create your own work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I disagree about creating your own work...Go to Hollywood and rub elbows at some production partys...It's old school but it's who you know...not what
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In creating his own work he can sell himself, stand out. Would this not be beneficial?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it big fish in a niche or climb the Hollywood kiss ass game? Most of "Hollywood" is made up of Midwestern types in a specialty. They all work for bosses from hell or find a protective "family" group.

If you can fill a narrow specialty (like the suggested steadicam operator) and market yourself, there is always room for the non-social "independent". Nobody starts at the top unless they have credits from elsewhere and can market themselves. Find a technology where you know more than others. Often these jobs are tied to a piece of equipment or a new technology in demand. Go to NAB. Find a trend. Work with the manufacturer during development. Editing has become a commodity as equipment prices have fallen. FCP freelancers are a dime a dozen.

The network broadcast TV game is all union if that matches you. Everything is defined and boring.

The real master trend is the fall in equipment prices that lets anyone become an independent production company. If you can't play the producer (and most other jobs as needed), find one and offer to be an assistant. Go work for Tarantino in Austin or something similar.
    Last edited by edDV; 3rd Mar 2010 at 04:06.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Great advice, thanks everyone. Its definitely making me re-consider where I want to aim for in the future. I would like to avoid LA or NYC and find a smaller area where i can work with a small production company or make independent films, especially documentaries. Any advice on a good company or place (town or smaller city) i might look into?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I worked in the film and tv industry for over 40 years mainly has a location sound recordist and studio mixer (rerecording in US talk). What I loved about the industry was the large group of people working collaboratively for a common objective. You need to be a people person, lots of interpersonal politics and ego's. What you don't reveal in your c/v post is your passion. That is what you need to think about IMO.

It is a very hard industry to work in as a loner except in a few niche areas - collaboration and compromise are two very important personality requirements over and above any academic achievement .

Do you have a show reel?
    Final note it is an industry that is very hard and unforgiving and the motto for anyone working in the industry should be "Get It Right The First Time!" Good luck in your endeavour.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote