VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Sony Vegas does not play sound in many files i put in - sometimes it would not play AVI, sometimes it would. It never plays MP4 or WMV.

WTH is this? I already noticed this is a common problem, but nowhere was there any solution..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Start by using mediainfo to determine what sort of sound doesn't play, and look for patterns. I know Vegas does not like VBR encoded MP3 audio, for example.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you havent the right version of Quicktime or dont even have Quicktime?
    The latest version of Quicktime was causing problems with MP4 audio, try version 7.4.14
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If an avi video says "video attributes could not be determined" then one of two things damaged video, or missing codecs. You can try using fourcc to change the video settings to xvid, or divx. Sometimes this is enough. If it says audio attributes cannot be determined, try extracting the audio using virtualdub and use that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Start by using mediainfo to determine what sort of sound doesn't play, and look for patterns. I know Vegas does not like VBR encoded MP3 audio, for example.
    What should this program do specifically? Maby i was not clear, but it is only in Sony Vegas that i don't hear the sound.. I can play the MP4 files well with MPC it VLC players..

Originally Posted by Abas-Avara View Post
    Maybe you havent the right version of Quicktime or dont even have Quicktime?
    The latest version of Quicktime was causing problems with MP4 audio, try version 7.4.14
    QuickTime does not play those MP4 files at all - show first frame and then stop.

Originally Posted by lowellriggsiam View Post
    If an avi video says "video attributes could not be determined" then one of two things damaged video, or missing codecs. You can try using fourcc to change the video settings to xvid, or divx. Sometimes this is enough. If it says audio attributes cannot be determined, try extracting the audio using virtualdub and use that.
    I don' get these types of messages.
    And you should know that VDUB only opens AVI files, nothing else..
    You should take a look at this:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1685/hexmp4.jpg

Strange that there are 6 lines separated, but non of it has audio...
    Typically when i place i file i get 2 rows - upper for video and lower for audio.
    And what is this? I am not that good with Sony Vegas anyway, as i am used to work with Ulead VS..
    Last edited by Artas1984; 1st Mar 2010 at 11:08.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Bump!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mediainfo will tell us what sort of audio is in the files.

That you can play the files outside of Vegas is no guarantee that you will get audio inside Vegas. Vegas does not use every codec on the system, only certain ones.

So you can either help us help you by actually doing some of the things we suggest - like tell us about the source file by using mediainfo - or keep arguing with us and get nowhere (and eventually ignored).

FWIW, MP4 is only a container, like AVI, MKV etc. so an MP4 file could contain any number of different combinations of audio and video codecs. Simply saying it is an MP4 is meaningless beyond telling us that is the container you have. There is no way to discern further what the cause may be with more information.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You probably understand that Sony (and others) are not interested in editing 5.1 AC3 or other distribution format files. It was when HDV and AVCHD camcorder support was added that 2 channel AC3 was detected at all (I forget what Vegas version 8 could see).

The assumption of Vegas is you are making your own video from your own multitrack recordings including stereo AC3 from camcorders. It allows unlimited track mixdowns then encoding a final 5.1 AC3 for distribution.

In other words, you need to decompress an AC3 5.1 or DTS track to 6 PCM streams before you import to Vegas.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    @guns1inger, i am not an idiot, i know MP4 is a container, but perhaps i should have mentioned i used AVC for video (1024x768, 10 Mbpps) an AAC 5.1 channels for audio (48 kHz, 256 Kbpps). I did not need this "MediaInfo" program just to tell how did i compress the mp4 files...

So i get it, there 2 solutions:

1) split the audio track from mp4, reconvert it something else and bring back to the mp4
    2) maby there is an option to improt AAC 5.1 playback to Sony Vegas Pro?

Does Sony not like the AAC or the 5.1 channels in the video or both parts of it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are not an idiot, why didn't you just tell us this information when asked, instead of being such an arse about it ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote