VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there to one and all. I hope somebody out there can help me. I have been working with a local studio to produce a weekly TV show which is then burned onto DVD from FCP (using the play down method onto a DVD recorder). For the last month, every so often when we play the disc back, we notice that during the playdown there has been a disturbance in the video which knocks the video off for about 10 seconds or so, which will come back on...but the audio is then muted for the whole rest of the show. I keep hearing that this is due to a break on the video timeline, but when I look back I do not see any breaks in the timeline. It seems that when there is a break in the video, it's at the end of a promo that I made up...so when I look on the timeline, I do not see any video disturbance there at the break in the DVD version...so I am really confused how and why this is happening.

I have cleaned up my edits as best as possible, and I have also cut out the lazy man's way of editing and stopped using commercial segments from previous timelines. Anybody else out there want to hazard a guess why this is happening, and how I can stop it?

T
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go back to your original timeline.
    Look at your Promo. Does the promo show that it needs to be
    rendered ( red)?

Is the promo in the same format as the rest of the video in the timeline?
    for instance is the Show in DV or DVC Pro format and the promo in
    h.264? Audio in the Show Uncompressed 16 bit,
    and the Promo is mp3? If you export the promo out in a seperate timeline
    from FCP to match the other footage, and then import it back in,
    this should fix the problem...

without looking at it directly or knowing your editing work habits,
    I can only guess from what I've seen other people do
    that is against what I do and guess to give you an answer.
    Hopefully, this helps in some way...
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello there Terry...everything is rendered out, so it's not that. This footage is all raw, uncompressed, then when the show is assembled we play it down through Final Cut to the DVD Recorder. One of our editors saw that if you clip each video clip, then click the second tab in the window (I believe it says video), you see there's a video filter, with a -1 value next to it. What exactly is that? Would that cause this problem we are having?

T
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey Again Terry, let me clarify my last comment on here. When I highlight a clip in the timeline, then go to the "video" tab in the middle window, I get a video filter that says change field, and then a -1 next to it...any ideas?

T
    Quote Quote  
  5. What's up Terry...would a one or two frame break on the timeline cause that to happen? I finally saw that yesterday, even though I have snapping turned on , there were still one or two frame breaks in between each clip...would that cause that to happen?

T
    Quote Quote  
  6. http://www.iwantvideo.tv
    Search Comp PM
    The -1 filter is automatically added if a piece of video is in a format that has a different field dominance than the sequence. Also, the gaps may be caused by differing frame rates. Make sure that the timeline is the same format as the video you are bringing in. Incompatible formats often happen if you bring in an audio track (like a piece of music) before you bring in the video. Doing this keeps FCP from asking if you want to change the sequence to match the video you are bringing in.

What I would do is go into your sequence and hit COMMAND-A, then copy all the video by hitting COMMAND-C then DELETE (or just hit COMMAND-X) Once the timeline is empty drag in a piece of the raw video. If FCP asks if you would like to change the sequence, you will know it was wrong. Hit OK then remove that piece of video. Next, paste your project video back into the timeline. You will have to then remove all the '-1' filters from your clips.

Hope that helps!

Ray The Video Guy - Host of 'I Want Video!' http://www.iwantvideo.tv
    Quote Quote