VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello guys, I have a collection of fullscreen and widescreen home videos that I want to put together, the thing is that I don't want to see the fullscreen ones stretched on my widescreen TV, but I don't want to crop them either. I've seen in many DVD’s that when they're enhanced for widescreen TV’s and they show content in fullscreen format, they add black bars on both sides of the image. I wonder if there was a tool that enhances fullscreen videos to be shown on widescreen TV’s. Last time I spent 5 hours going through forums trying to find an answer to this but I found nothing. Hope you guys can help. It will be highly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can have 4:3 and 16:9 videos in the same DVD, as long as they're in different VTS's. If you want to add pillarbars to the 4:3 ones and reencode for 16:9 so they can be joined to the already 16:9 ones, the tool of choice is AviSynth with its Crop, Resize, and AddBorders commands. Exactly how you do it depends on the original resolution of the 4:3 videos, and whether for PAL or NTSC. FitCD will give you the right commands for doing this. For example, if 4:3 and already DVD compliant, for NTSC the script might go something like this:

LanczosResize(544,Height)
    AddBorders(88,0,88,0)

That says to resize to 544x480 and add 88 columns of pixels to both sides.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43to169.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	567  

Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most dvd mpeg converters can add black borders so you don't need any special tool.

What do you use to convert to dvd now? And what is your source video format?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so first I have to convert the 4:3 avi files into DVD files right? then use AviSynth to create the bars on both sides. I use WinAvi Video Converter to create the dvd files individually and then DVDShrink to put them together. My system is NTSC
    Last edited by pedrotc2002; 26th Feb 2010 at 13:44.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried using WinAvi to add these borders but it crops the image and shows it in 16:9 format but that's not what I want. Probably I'm not using this software properly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is your source format?

If DV, you can edit mixed wide and 4:3 clips on the timeline (e.g. Premiere or Vegas). If the project is set to DV wide, 4:3 normally shows with side pillars but that can be changed to H stretched in clip properties.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I have different source for my videos, DV, 8mm and S-VHS. I don't know if that's what you mean. I already captured them to my pc and they're in mpg and avi format. I have no problems with the DV source videos in 16:9 format, but those in 4:3 format from my s-vhs camcorder get stretched on my widescreen TV or croped with all the attempts that I have tried.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't like using timeline software to create my videos, I convert them individually, and WinAvi automatically adds chapters, then I use DVDShrink to put every single video into the dvd, each one as a different title on the whole disc. And then that's why I ask that once the compilation is done, only those videos in 16:9 format are shown correctly in my Tv set in its original aspect ratio but those in 4:3 are shown wide on my tv but the image stretched, that's why I want those videos with borders on both sides so they're not stretched. In other words, I want my dvd player to recognize whether the source video is widescreen or fullframe
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll go ahead and give it a try to AviSynth to see if it meets my needs, Thank you all for your help, and I'll post back if everything went well
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by pedrotc2002 View Post
    Ok, so first I have to convert the 4:3 avi files into DVD files right? then use AviSynth to create the bars on both sides.
    No, you do both at the same time, setting up the script to convert from 4:3 (or whatever the source DAR) to 16:9, and then feeding that script into your MPEG-2 encoder. I don't (and won't) use WinAVI, so I have no idea whether or not it accepts AviSynth scripts, although most encoders do. Baldrick says there are all-in-one programs that can automatically add the pillarbars, but most 4:3 to 16:9 conversions I've seen (like that done in DVD-Rebuilder) do the conversion by cropping from the top and bottom and then resizing. I don't use any of those all-in-ones, so maybe he or someone else can give you the names of some so you don't have to learn AviSynth from scratch for this project.
    Last edited by manono; 26th Feb 2010 at 16:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your MPeg2 transfers can be flagged 4:3 or 16:9. If the flag is wrong, your 4:3 video will show h stretched in a DVD wide project. If your MPeg2 meets DVD spec (i.e. nonsquare pixels), you don't need to recode the video, just correct the flag or "clip properties" depending on the authoring program you are using. I'd have to review DVD Shrink to find the aspect properties setting.

If the MPeg2 was rendered square pixel, you will need to recode the MPeg2. If by "avi" you mean divx/xvid, you will need to recode the clips to MPeg2 to make a spec DVD.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I think I don't have a problem learning to use AviSynth from scratch, I like to be updated when it comes to software and if you recomend that one I'll give it a try.
    To edDV I do have some videos in avi or divx format, and I guess you're right I have to recode them to mpeg codec files
    I'll keep you posted
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "setting up the script to convert to 4:3 (or whatever the source DAR) to 16:9, and then feeding that script into your MPEG-2 encoder."

ok, so if I'm using k-lite codec pack I must go to configuration--ffdhow--video decoder configuration to load the script? under Avisynth
    Quote Quote  
  14. I meant to say 'to convert from 4:3 to 16:9'.

I don't have (or want) K-lite. I don't use ffdshow for this. You make a text file renamed with the .avs extension, use DGIndex (part of the DGMPGDec package) to make a D2V project file, and inside the Video.avs have something like:

LoadPlugin("C:\Path\To\DGDecode.dll")
    MPEG2Source("C:\Path\To\Video.d2v")
    LanczosResize(544,Height)
    AddBorders(88,0,88,0)

That's for a 720x480 4:3 MPEG of some sort that you want to convert to 16:9 by reencoding. Read the docs included with DGMPGDec as they are very good at explaining what you need to do. Then at the AviSynth site is more valuable information:

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page#New_to_AviSynth_-_start_here
    Quote Quote