VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Starting with a sequence of image files(BMP) with the intention to make a fully streamable movie for a website.

Working with Aftereffects/Quicktime pro/Virtualdub.

Would appreciate some good advice on how to create a High quality movie for streaming on the web and which format to use.WMV?AVI?MP?other?

Video size 768x576-or 640 480
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MP4 with h264 video and aac audio and streamed/played with flash.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks .
    If I use QT pro for this I will have to convert the image files first to a video format as I have a syncronised sound track ,I have found that within QT pro i can put in a n AVI file at 450 mega bytes and save files as Movies and it comes out as a 450M megabytes QT movie MPEG4 /video stream WRAW/319mbps
    Would that be OK and the would it need to be converted to FLV?
    Last edited by santolina; 26th Feb 2010 at 13:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, not okay. Quicktime is a terrible H.264 encoder.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK thanks,Then how do I proceed from either the images files I have or avi all ready converted to produce a streaming video please
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    No, not okay. Quicktime is a terrible H.264 encoder.
    OK thanks ,Ive installed H.264 encoder and its pretty good,i dont understand though why when i select AVI from the out put files and then in the line above I cant write any thing else other than MP4 video or it wont run?

1. Input the Output File
    Click "Browse" to browse and set one output file name. The default file extension is ".mp4", but you can use other file extension (like '.avi').
    Last edited by santolina; 26th Feb 2010 at 15:44.
    Quote Quote  
  7. That's a terrible encoder too

You can use x264 encoder, which is a commandline application, or one of it's gui's eg. handbrake, megui, ripbot264, xvid4psp

Baldrick made an old guide for setting up with jw player, some of the infomation might be outdated
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/293382-Flash-with-high-quality-video-(MP4-with-H264...-and-AAC-audio)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where as Im really gratefull for the advice freely given,all of this is driving me to an early demise.
    The last 3 recomendations have all been called "a terrible encoder " and Im just not happy with command line stuff,
    Im 63 years old. and I am finding that its harder to find the solution to my request /Starting with a sequence of image files(BMP) with the intention to make a fully streamable movie for a website.

Working with Aftereffects/Quicktime pro/Virtualdub.

Would appreciate some good advice on how to create a High quality movie for streaming on the web and which format to use.WMV?AVI?MP?other?

Than it was to produce my animation.

Please dont take this personally, its not my intention to use or abuse any of the ones who have helped,I just need a simple answer or perhaps there is no such thing.
    Regards pete
    Quote Quote  
  9. Do you have your stills already assembled in AE ?

If not, you can import an image sequence into AE to make layer for your compostition.

Then, export a lossless intermediate from AE (e.g. uncompressed AVI) then use one of the easy-to-use GUI's listed above (just a few clicks, way easier to use than AE)

If your animation has alpha channel (transparency), then your ONLY option is to use VP6 with alpha channel in .flv container

h.264 is far superior in terms of video compression (quality at a given bitrate), assuming you are using a good encoder

EDIT: note, you could use quicktime h.264/aac for ease of use (you can encode straight from AE export instead of having another step), but in terms of compression , it's not as good (quality at a given bitrate is lower)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 26th Feb 2010 at 17:28.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Do you have your stills already assembled in AE ?

If not, you can import an image sequence into AE to make layer for your compostition.

Then, export a lossless intermediate from AE (e.g. uncompressed AVI) then use one of the easy-to-use GUI's listed above (just a few clicks, way easier to use than AE)

If your animation has alpha channel (transparency), then your ONLY option is to use VP6 with alpha channel in .flv container

h.264 is far superior in terms of video compression (quality at a given bitrate), assuming you are using a good encoder

EDIT: note, you could use quicktime h.264/aac for ease of use (you can encode straight from AE export instead of having another step), but in terms of compression , it's not as good (quality at a given bitrate is lower)
    Thank you for that,I have got as far as the avi uncompressed and even bought the QT pro,so I push on with the work..

Thanks again.
    Pete
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you're happy with quicktime (there are other problems besides lower quality - such as the gamma shift bug) , then make sure you enable "prepare for internet streaming" - fast start , or it won't play until the file is completely downloaded. You should still use h.264 video and aac audio with quicktime for streaming.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I have noticed the Gamma shift issue,It seems that if I edit in QT the contrast and add a little colour and vary the tint/then save as/movie to QT movie its pretty well corrected.

"prepare for internet streaming" - fast start

That answers that question for me ,thatnks
    Quote Quote  
  13. QTPro isn't very compatible with AVI files on Windows platform

So I would export uncompressed .mov from AE instead of uncompressed AVI

The reason you don't want to export the final format QT h.264/aac/.mov in AE is that it only allows a 1 pass render. (also you don't want to render all the CPU heavy effects twice) , but doing it through QTPro gives you more control & options
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im saving as just uncompressed in AE ---they just come out as avi,I just had a quick look in AE and in the format box I can only find save as" Uncompessed,"would you be good enough to point me in the right direction please.
    Quote Quote  
  15. when your comp is added to the render queue, click the output module settings hot text to access it

under format, select "quicktime movie" instead of "video for windows"

under format options you can select "none" for the compression type
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	17642
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	572  

Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right thats realy good,do you know I had no idea it exhisted ,Im rendering out a test now.
    Thanks for your help its very kind of you to take the time.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry just cant find the tab prepare for internet streaming in Qt as the file saved 5.3 gig wont play correctly as you said so,i need to enable that
    Quote Quote  
  18. You don't prepare the uncompressed .mov; that internet streaming option is when you encode that uncompressed .mov => h.264/aac/mov in QTpro after exporting from AE (i.e. when you encode the final format for web delivery)

file=>export=>options (adjust your video & audio options)

Also note, that if you are uploading to a 3rd party site like vimeo, youtube (i.e. not your own host) , then they will end up re-encoding the video anyway! so a lot of this may not be applicable or ideal
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	17570
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	573  

Last edited by poisondeathray; 26th Feb 2010 at 18:51.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I got it now,That must be at least 2 bottles of Glenmorangie I owe you now.Im from the UK so Ill bid you Goodnight and thanks again,With your help Iv acheived a great deal tonght
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    H.264 is the current best web streaming format.

There are TWO good H.264 encoding engines -- the commercial MainConcept and the freeware x264
    x264 is found in several free apps, or used directly from x264 command-line.
    MainConcept is found in several pro apps (Vegas, Premiere, others), or used directly from MainConcept Reference.

Everything else is crap. It's blocky and noisy and really low quality compared to MC and x264.
    That's just how it is.

If quality isn't important -- use whatever you want.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote