VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm not sure if this is something anybody would want, but I thought I'd just post my general VHS --> DVD workflow (for my "average" tape) for anybody new to these conversions that might be looking for a visual representation of one way to accomplish this task.

I've just listed out all the hardware and software I use, plus the relevant features I utilize for the conversion. It's a fairly basic representation, as I don't do much on the software restoration side of things, but pretty much all of this was information gained from this forum, so I just think of it as a summary of my experience with all of the wonderfully knowledgeable people on here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VHS to DVD Workflow.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	560
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need some notes in there.
    For example, you can't use the ES10 if the VCR TBC is on, or if another TBC is in the chain beforehand.
    Or only use Verbatim or TY for your final ImgBurn burns.

Going over workflow is so important. Too many people fail to plan.
    There are more DVD workflows at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/project-planning-workflows-34.html

Everybody tends to have a slightly different workflow, to meet their project needs.

You have a solid method there, for VHS to DVD work.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Good point! I meant to mention that about TY SL and Verbatim DL. I'll edit it in the next day or so to include it.

Yes, it rarely gets addressed -- understanding how these different aspects relate each other is necessary, since you have to have a lot of flexibility to get a large project done. I should probably add something to represent multiple VCRs at the start of the chain -- I can usually get away with just using the JVC SR-W5U, but there are still occasions when another deck must be used.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't checked out that section of your site for awhile.

Edit: BTW on a side note, in regards to chaining multiple TBCs together -- I did try this once (DataVideo, ES-10, JVC SR-W5U) a year or so ago to see what the result was and it caused the audio to be out of sync on the output. (audio is direct from VHS deck to DVD recorder). Is that due to too many devices chained together in general, or due to all of the TBCs being active (or both I suppose) ?
    Last edited by robjv1; 25th Feb 2010 at 22:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit: BTW on a side note, in regards to chaining multiple TBCs together -- I did try this once (DataVideo, ES-10, JVC SR-W5U) a year or so ago to see what the result was and it caused the audio to be out of sync on the output. (audio is direct from VHS deck to DVD recorder). Is that due to too many devices chained together in general, or due to all of the TBCs being active (or both I suppose) ?
    It's called 'Propagation Delay', and you don't notice it in small amounts, but it adds up. Comes from digitizing the video mostly.
    Quote Quote