VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All

we have just bought a gopro hd with a helmet cam I strapped it all to my head and went kitesurfing After about 20 - 30 minutes I finished and though sweet I can go home and check out the first Vid.

I put the memory card in to my laptop to find a 2 GB mp4 file that seems to be corrupt. I t will not open in vlc or any other programs. I have tried opening it in Avidmux to no avail.

Please can nayone help !!! What I might have done is pressed the off button rather than the stop button from a recording.

I am willing to pay someone via paypal to get this working ..

Cheers Peter in Brisbane Australia
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    see if the cam works at all first. record a 10 second video and try to play it back. if it works then maybe cut a sample from the bad one and host it somewhere the folks here can download and check.
    Image Attached Files
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes the camera works fine with smaller clips. I have taken a sample and uploaded it.

Here is the link .. it is about 46mb

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W8YROM6N
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone out there able to help .. please am desparate to get this video working.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post a small, working sample from the camera - something to compare it to.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Working sample I've just taken
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Most of the header of the bad video was empty (all zeros). I copied the header of the good sample to the bad sample and it comes close to playing. I was able to see the first frame of the video. Maybe if you do the same you can find an MP4 file fixer that can recover the rest of the video.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	first.jpg
Views:	7952
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	616
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awsome to at least see a frame

Which program must I use to copy the headers. Also if you reccomend any mp4 fixers that would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I used a hex editor from HD Software: http://www.hhdsoftware.com/ I copied the first 0x2200 bytes. I don't deal much with MP4 files so I don't have any repair tools for them.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't even get it to show the first frame on the big 2GB file. Not sure if I am doing it correctly. Is it up to this point ? I am looking at the numbers on the left hand side.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/PETER%7E1.SMI/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/PETER%7E1.SMI/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]Click image for larger version

Name:	hex.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	618
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It should be to about here. Notice in the good file it is followed by x"00" unitl it gets to approx x"8000"

[Attachment 619 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Dave

your link is giving me a bad attahcment error message.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I copied the first ~0x2200 bytes (that's about 8700 bytes in decimal) from the good file to the bad file. That's the lines labeled 00000000 to 00002200. You'll see that the bad file has nothing but zeros from about 0x30 to 0x8000. The good file is all zeros from about 0x2200 to 0x8000.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like I have no Idea how to attach a JPG using Videohelp.com. Anyway, not really necessary now,
    Jagabo has explained it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just get one quick flash and then an error message so I presume that must be the one frame that you can see not sure where to go from here.. I open it in avidmux and it just has a green backround. I press play and it plays the backround for 8 seconds and thats it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by nguriwe View Post
    I just get one quick flash and then an error message so I presume that must be the one frame that you can see not sure where to go from here.. I open it in avidmux and it just has a green backround. I press play and it plays the backround for 8 seconds and thats it.
    Playing for 8 seconds is probably because it saw the 8 second duration of the good video's header.

I believe the main remaining problem is that the MP4 header contains a list of pointers to the start of every frame (so a player can easily seek to any frame). Those pointers will be different (except for the pointer to the first frame) with every video. What you need is a program that will rebuild that list by parsing the actual data in the file. It sounds like the software/service that AeroQ is spamming us with does this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tried everything i could think of but no program - divfix, mp4creator, mpegrepair, etc... could find any useful data.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've also been looking around and haven't found anything free that can do this.
    There are a few $$ programs that may be worth a try. See if you can find one who'll give you a money
    back guarantee if it doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  19. None of the tools I tried got past the first frame. I even downloaded and tried NewLive's All Media Fixer. It spent a long time examining the file so I thought it was rebuilding the index. But in the end the "fixed" file wasn't any better.

Check out this thread where someone used Mp4Creator to extract the video (but not the audio):

http://forums.3ivx.com/index.php?showtopic=86104
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Mar 2010 at 18:07.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting - I found something similar with a tool called "Video Fixer". It was the trial, gave a cryptic message when I pressed the "fix" button, created a similarly sized file with the [fixed] prefix, but behaved just as the source file did. I sent the maker of "video Fixer" an email about the trial. What is the purpose of producing that output when it hasn't been fixed? Doesn't give much confidence about the tool.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you find a solution to fixing your corrupt GoPro file? My camera got wet while recording so the video stopped recording. Even though the camera is ruined I would like to recover the file that was recording.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hey to all !

I think you should check this article, that may help you fix your GoPro video file. (there is also a french version)
    The repair process is windows dedicated, but the files in the package include the Perl script, that can be run on any system which hosts Perl.

I hope this helps, let us know ! 'waiting to be able to see your movie !

Robin for goprohacks.blogspot.com
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hello. I joined this forum specifically to share my knowledge of the subject. I recently smashed my gopro into a branch which took me off my bike. That resulted in the dreaded corrupted gopro file. I couldn't even get it OFF my sdcard. I tried so many methods but none worked.

What I did to fix mine was to do a windows checkdisk on the SDCard. Im using Windows 7 and in case anyone does not know how to do this, right click on the sdcard within My Computer and select properties. CLick on the Tools tab then press the "Check Now" button under Error-Checking. It may ask you to force an unmount. Do so. Let it do it's thing. Previous versions of windows should have similar steps. I hope this helps someone!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    Did you find a solution to fixing your corrupt GoPro file? My camera got wet while recording so the video stopped recording. Even though the camera is ruined I would like to recover the file that was recording.
    Did you ever get your question answered? My GoPro went into the lake without the waterproof case for over an hour. I recovered it and soaked it in alcahol for 5 hours then let it dry in the sun for two day. I replaced the battery and it works fine but I could not recover the last video on the SD card. anybody know how to recover it. This is the same problem 1223ski had.
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is that Oceana Beach?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I shut down the camera without stopping the recording, and the 3gb movie file was corrupted. I tried VLC and other readers to no avail.

The trick at http://goprohacks.blogspot.com/p/how-to-restore-gopro-mp4-corrupted-or.html did it for me. A 5 secs fix!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Hi i am having the same problem and am wondering if enyone can help i took my veichel through flood waters and the camera fell off its mount i found it after the flood waters went down but the video was never ended and the camera battery died i would really like to be able to view my video thanks ,dylan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone tried to contact GoPro? It takes them a couple days to respond, but might be worth a shot.

I have a GoPro myself and it doesn't matter if you power down without stopping the recording. Also, it creates a second file right before 4Gigs to stay compatible with Fat32.

Did you use the waterproof case? Did it fail? I'm just curious.

EDIT: That link two posts up looks pretty promising. Good to know.
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Sep 2011 at 23:07.
    Quote Quote  
  29. i used the case and it worked just fine im having the same proplem as the guy above but i need someone who knows how to help me like he was helped
    Quote Quote