VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know this has been done to death, but I still cannot figure out what is going wrong with my workflow.

I hooked up my VCR directly to my TV (with composite cables) and the quality is good. However, once I hook it up to my PC (VIA canopus ADVC 110 and composite), I get too many horizontal lines and some tracking-like fuzziness throughout. None of this is visible on the TV.

I had originally purchased a dazzle to capture, but after reading this forum, it seemed that USB connection was not best (so I went out and bought the Canopus). I thought my problems were solved. No go.

I have used different software to capture the files (Pinnacle Studio 14 and Virtual dub), but same issues, (albeit Virtualdub a bit better). I can edit it in Pinnacle and burn in nero, Pinnacle Studio or Roxio, but it seems the issues come before the burning of the DVD because the vdub screenshots below show the issues I am having.

Do I need an SVHS (for s-video hookup?). If it is my VCR - why is it clear on the TV? Is it a filter I should be applying in the vdub? I am so confused.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
    Carmen

Here is a screenshot from final DVD - super blurry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	552

Here are screenshots after capture (but prior to burning) on PC:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vdub capture2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	551Click image for larger version

Name:	vdub capture1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	550Click image for larger version

Name:	vdub capture3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	549
    Last edited by carakoz; 25th Feb 2010 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The first image is showing line time base errors and dot crawl (actually all four images suffer from this but it's not as noticeable in them). An SVHS deck and s-video cable should take care of both of those problems. I'm not sure what's causing that horizontal band of noise in second and third images. The last two images show clear comb artifacts from interlaced video -- completely normal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That band noise is transmission noise, most likely. Maybe power line, but more likely transmission.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote