VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am unsure what to use to rip my DVD's for backups.

I want to be able to rip DVD's using a 'command line' program (such as ffmpeg, but I'm not sure if ffmpeg does that).

Could anyone suggest a solution please?

Oh and i should mention that I am looking for a program for WINDOWS not Linux!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, ffmpeg can't rip. I think dvdfab decrypter supports command line switches. Check the readme.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick, gave it a go and it works pretty good, I like the way it rips the entire DVD rather than just encoding the movie to a video file
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Ripping" is the single act of extracting information from a disc and dumping it to a file (ISO image, VIDEO_TS folder set, VOB files via IFO, etc).

Converting to "a file" is a separate process entirely. Sure, some programs do both ripping AND converting, but they often (as you've apparently noticed) really do a lousy job at it.

Why must it be command-line? That's sort of weird.

More DVD copying posts:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/copy-dvds-duplicate-32.html
    https://forum.videohelp.com/forums/24-DVD-Ripping
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 1st Mar 2010 at 13:32.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.

"Ripping" is the single act of extracting information from a disc and dumping it to a file (ISO image, VIDEO_TS folder set, VOB files via IFO, etc).
    I understand this, but I noticed you mentioned the IFO files, how do these files enable you to copy data from a DVD? And in what way can they be used?

Why must it be command-line? That's sort of weird.
    I would prefer to use command line as they dont seem to need a proper installation to use, i.e ffmpeg does not require you to install you just need to have the file on your hard drive in a known location in order to use it. Also, using ffmpeg as an example again, it has proved to be a lot more useful than any GUI's I have tried... which is a lot. I like the idea that it is a very lightweight method of doing things. Plus as a side bonus it kinda helps me to learn more about commands and things like that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nj473 View Post
    I understand this, but I noticed you mentioned the IFO files, how do these files enable you to copy data from a DVD? And in what way can they be used?
    IFO files are an integral part of the DVD structure, see the "What Is DVD" link on the menu to the left.
    Quote Quote