VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am copying my VHS tapes to an external hard drive using the Canopus/Green Valley ADVC110. I've had great success but I would like to organize my .avi files into separate folders by date/event. This would require trimming large (20gv) files. I don't want to do anything other than that at this time - just trim and organize files without changing the format.

I have Adobe Premier Elements 7 and just downloaded a trial of Corel Video Studio Pro X3 but both create a movie and change the format to their own.

Any simple suggestions? I'm new to all of this, so in my case, less is more!

Thanks to all who regularly contribute, you are wonderful to help us by sharing your knowldege.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub or Avidemux, possibly ? Both can trim the files without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you Dave, I'll keep that in mind. Since I posted, I did find info on this site re:
    Solveig MM AVITrimmer and I downloaded it.

Seems to work well but once I'm done trimming and hit RUN, it takes close to 10 minutes
    to save it (to a new folder). I think it's re-creating the file.

Does anyone know how to just save it to the original folder so the program doesn't have to
    create a whole new file? When I use the Source file as the Destination file, it cannot use it
    because it is already opened and being used!

Seems SO unnecessary to go through all of this just to edit some undesired frames at the
    beginning and end of a clip -

Again, thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. That's not how works

Every program will copy to a new file with your edits; you cannot overwrite the original when it's being accessed simultaneously

You can delete the original if you are 100% sure you've made no mistakes , and will never ever use the deleted footage

The key here is you want to stream copy, not re-encode with a lossy format, or you lose quality
    Quote Quote  
  5. Okay, as long as I know that's how it is supposed to work - and I do not want to change anything else so it's fine. Thanks for your responses, Amy
    Quote Quote