VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi guys,

can someone please assist me with the matter I have. I recently bought a Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz CPU, sooo, in my mind the CPU should be running at 2.93GHz, right? But when I do the thing where you right click on my computer and say properties it shows that the CPU is running at 2.13GHz instead of the 2.93...

Any idea on that or some assistance? Would gladly appreciate it.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Windows may not be correct. Try using CPU-Z and it should give you an accurate speed reading: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php Check the multiplier speed there also. If you have energy saving enabled on that motherboard, it may be running at a lower speed to conserve energy. When you run a CPU intensive operation, it should ramp up the speed to 2.93Ghz. If not, you may have to make some adjustments in BIOS.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sweet thanks man, really appreciate it. and im real stupid with this stuff, how do i check the multiplier speed? or do i check it on the cpu-z?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    and also, if i have to make some adjustments in the BIOS, where do i do that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It should be 11X for a multiplier, I believe. In CPU-Z, the CPU speed is shown, then the multiplier. The CPU speed is the bus speed times the multiplier, 1.9Ghz from my laptop screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cpu.jpg
Views:	3571
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	518

Your bus speed should probably be 266Mhz X 11= ~2930Mhz.

In BIOS, you would have to check your motherboard manual for the location of the CPU settings. Be careful there as the wrong settings may cause the PC not to boot. But you can take a look at them anyway, without saving any changes. Way too much to cover for adjusting CPU speed in a short post.

You should also try running the CPU under a load, such as encoding, while CPU-Z is open and if you have energy saving on, it should ramp up to 2930Mhz.
    Last edited by redwudz; 24th Feb 2010 at 06:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks a million man, you've been agreat help. chat soon.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I should add, if my numbers are correct: If it's running at 2130Mhz / 266Mhz bus speed, you would see a multiplier of 8X. The 11X multiplier should give you 2930Mhz. I suspect it's running in energy saving mode if it's 8X as that's how they slow it down, by lowering the multiplier to save energy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cool stuff, will just check tonight, and i think you are right, coz the energy saving mode always pop up. will let you know whats it saying.

thanks man, you've been a great help.^_^
    Quote Quote  
  9. For example: according to CPUZ my C2D Celeron runs at 1200 MHz at idle 2400 MHz under load. My Computer -> Properties always shows 2400 MHz.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sweet thanks for all the info.

then another question, my motherboard(Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L) im not sure if it supports 64-bit or not, iv'e looked everywhere but cant seem to find anything, even on gigayte's site it does not say anything. any place where i can find out?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it supports 64 bit. Most any computer motherboard these days do. Most all modern CPUs are 64 bit, so a 64 bit OS or a 32 bit OS (Operating System, IE, Windows) will work fine.
    Quote Quote