VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK, I have ONE problem to solve.

Comcast DVR to Panasonic HD Viera TV via HDMI cable = Full Screen HD and full screen standard.

Panasonic DVD to same Panasonic HD Viera TV via HDMI cable = Full Scrren DVD MOVIES playback.

Here's the issue...

Comcast DVR to Panasonic DVD via any method (S video, Components, co-ax, RCA) to Panasonic HD Viera HDMI = LETTERBOX HD channels (record & playback), and Full Screen Standard (record & playback).

Is there ANYTHING I can do with this Comcast junk to give me full sreen DVD record & playback?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    HD channels aren't valid for DVD recording without conversion so I'd guess that the Panasonic DVD recorder is doing the best it can, which is to record them as letterboxed 4:3 in standard definition.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Okay, but I also have an Sony RDRHX715 (It has an HDMI jack), and I have the same problem with it on Comcast. But on Direct TV, I have it hooked up, and it records HD channels with full screen and in HD 1080i.

Why can the Sony work on Direct but not Comcast cable?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our dvd recorder section. And PLEASE do not cross post.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KeithJFro View Post
    Okay, but I also have an Sony RDRHX715 (It has an HDMI jack), and I have the same problem with it on Comcast. But on Direct TV, I have it hooked up, and it records HD channels with full screen and in HD 1080i.

Maybe it does when recording to hard disk, but again, HD video is NOT valid for DVD. Sony is not Panasonic and vice-versa.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Okay, but I also have an Sony RDRHX715 (It has an HDMI jack), and I have the same problem with it on Comcast. But on Direct TV, I have it hooked up, and it records HD channels with full screen and in HD 1080i.

Maybe it does when recording to hard disk, but again, HD video is NOT valid for DVD. Sony is not Panasonic and vice-versa.
    I get HD video just fine on DVD as long as the other player/TV has an HDMI source through it. The problem is the HD picture isn't full screen on HD channels on Comcast cable like it is on Direct using the same Sony machine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your Motorola HD cable box can't be set up to output 720x480 anamorphic widescreen via any analog connection other than its component line out, but your DVD recorder only has S-Video and composite for its line inputs.

See this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/314275-Comcast-HDTV-cablebox-to-DVD-recorder-How-do-I
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Feb 2010 at 15:34. Reason: Add link
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Your Motorola HD cable box can't be set up to output 720x480 anamorphic widescreen via any analog connection other than its component line out, but your DVD recorder only has S-Video and composite for its line inputs.

See this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/314275-Comcast-HDTV-cablebox-to-DVD-recorder-How-do-I
    I tried S video and component from the CC box to the DVD. No change...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I tried S video and component from the CC box to the DVD. No change...
    No there wouldn't be. Your Comcast cable box can't output widescreen using S-Video or composite and your DVD recorder won't accept component, only composite or S-Video. That is what I already told you.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Feb 2010 at 16:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, but I also have an Sony RDRHX715 ..... and it records HD channels with full screen and in HD 1080i.
    No, it does not, you are mistaken. You cannot record HD on DVD with a DVD recorder.
    At best, it's SD version of the HD and in 16x9.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need a Component to S-video converter. Your STB only outputs letterboxed 16:9 from it's composite or S-video outputs. Many DVR/STBs are like this. Here's a link to a converter.
    http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/LENKENG,LKV7611,Component,to,Composite,,S,Video,Con...hp?prod=130401
    Last edited by jjeff; 22nd Feb 2010 at 17:23.
    Quote Quote