VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I'm running Adobe Premiere 1.5 and I'm looking for some help. I've made basic DVD's in Encore before but I've never had to put so much on one disc until now.

I wanted some advice on the best export to MPEG setting in Premiere for good quality but smaller file sizes (i.e. not huge) I get as far as MPEG2 - DVD but then I get a little lost. I need my settings to be for PAL not NTSC. I've rendered out a few test sections so far but the files seem massive for the length that they are, can anyone give me some idea on what setting I should use?

Thanks so much if you can
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    need more information...

what kind of video? It there a lot of motion?
    how long is the video?

If the video is several hours then you're going to most likely get poor image quality on a single layer dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Currently it's several clips, but I'm planning to put them into one file with chapter markers. It will probably be around the 3 hour mark when done. And it's a documentary/performance piece of some kids learning to street dance, break dance and mc...so theres bits of fast motion in it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why don't you let Encore do the calculations for you? (or does that older version not do that?)

Filesize=bitrate x running time

You are limited by DVD media's fixed capacity (about 4.37GB for DVD5) , of course things like menus & extras take up space too

To do it manually, you need a bitrate calculator, there are many online, and even one at videohelp
    https://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    OK..For 3 hours you could put it on a single disc, but you'd really want to use a double layer disc.

Since some of it may be pretty slow moving and others may be really fast you might want to try using 2-pass Variable BitRate (VBR).
    Set Max to 8Mbps, Min to 4Kbps and you want your average to be about 5.9Mbps

I used the bitrate calculator on this site to come up with the 5.9Mbps number as that is the max average bitrate you can use on a regular DVD9 dual layer disc to fit all that video on at 3 hours with a 224kbps audio bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks so much ^_^
    Quote Quote