VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have mini-dv tapes that were recorded on my Sony DCR-TRV38 camcorder. Unfortunately, my Sony camcorder decided to die on me...eject/tape mechanism won't work.

I have got to get some of my mini-dv tapes on DVD this week for a memorial that I am doing. I borrowed several friends mini-dv camcorders to try and play back my old mini-dv tapes (that were recorder on my Sony) and they play the video but not the audio.
    The audio goes in and out, in and out...all gargled and intermittent. I used several camcorders and they all sound like this. I've been searching on here and found a couple threads of people having the same problem when switching between camcorders, but couldn't find a solution.

Can someone please help me! I have some bereavement video that I have got to get put on DVD this week and the audio won't work!

Please Help!

~Karen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's possible that the original camcorder may have had misaligned heads - meaning the tapes won't play properly on anything correctly aligned.

Get the original camcorder fixed? Get an expert to misalign a new camcorder for you to match the tapes?

But for this week's memorial: replace the audio with background music.

It can't hurt to try another camcorder or two - you might be lucky and find one that's close enough to your old camcorder to make the audio work.

Cheers,
    David.

P.S. This assumes the fault is audible on the camcorder itself - if it's fine on the camcorder speaker, but faulty just on the PC capture, then it's a capturing issue. That would be much easier to fix!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you dont say whether you are capturing from these camera using dv or phono, is it possible to connect the analogue audio from the camera to an amplifier rather than a pc just to hear the audio coming directly off the camera and not in to the computer just to check and rule out where the fault in the audio is?

oopps, just realised 2Bdecided said much the same thing in his last paragraph.
    Quote Quote