VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped some Swedish subs from a DVD with SubRip, translated them to English in Google Translate. Great...but when I view the DVD and load the translated subs they are badly out of sync in all players that I've used, (WMP Classic, GOM player, VLC) yet when I select the original Swedish subs that are in the DVD the sync is perfect.

What is causing this?

Many thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has this method ever worked for you before? I suspect it's an indexing problem. Try converting the dvd to an avi using fairusewizard and see if the avi and the subs synch then. In fairusewizard check the box that says you also want to extract the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply, lowellriggsiam!

Yes, it has worked for me before.

I watch a lot of Foreign film and 90% of the time need subtitles. Some subs I get online (Subscene, Mysubs etc) sometimes needing to shift the subs timing +/- a few seconds but nothing more than that and have successfully ripped subs from DVD and translated them and then encoded them into the original VOB files and they've always worked. But, this time, I've had no such luck.

I will try the procedure you mention and let you know if I am successful.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is your workflow? If you compare the *.srt you got from SubRip and the *.sup-file you authored into the DVD, do the timings coincide or do you have a fault already at that stage?
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe I have sorted the problem out, träskmannen. I have no idea why everything was running out of synch.

I always opt to use this method

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD

to place my new subs into the original DVD files, thus keeping the original menus etc, and now it all works fine. I guess it was just one of those things. Thanks for your messages guys!
    Last edited by migrantwing; 22nd Feb 2010 at 11:05.
    Quote Quote