VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

Hi,
    As you can see in the 1st picture, that .jpg was used as the thumb for the .m4v file. Unfortunately that's the only video file I have like that, all the rest look like picture 2. My question is how can this be done? and can it be done for .mkv, .avi & .m2ts files as well?
    Thanks in advance...

Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on your format, but usually the first frame of the video is used for the thumbnail. What I've done in VirtualDub is to choose a keyframe that has the desired picture on it, then copy that and paste it to the beginning of the video. If you can get just a single frame, even better.

Use the Keyframe key to find a suitable keyframe, then click the 'Mark in' button, then use the KB R arrow key to move one frame forward, then the 'Mark out' button and then the 'Edit>Copy' command. Move to the beginning of the video with the 'Start' first frame key, then 'Edit>Paste' the frame. Save the video in 'Direct stream copy' mode. Use a different filename if you don't want to damage the original file.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	4170
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	437

You generally don't even see the single frame displayed on playback, but it should display as the thumbnail for the video. It's similar to adding a title screen to the beginning of a video, but just one frame in duration.

For MKV, you might have to use AVIDemux, though I haven't tried it for this. Probably other ways to do all this, but I've used the above method for some time with Xvids and other compatible AVI type files.

And welcome to our forums.

EDIT: The arrow is pointing to the wrong keyframe button. It should be the one to the right.
    Last edited by redwudz; 18th Feb 2010 at 16:01.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Redwudz.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also add custom photos, screenshots or .jpgs if you can open them in VD. You have to convert them to the exact same codec, framerate, framesize, then save them out and append them to the existing file. Then cut and paste them where you want. I rarely do this as the framerate or something else seems to usually be wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a VD, where can I get one?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. I should have spelled that out. I was referring to VirtualDub. AVIDemux may be able to to do the same, but I haven't tried it for that purpose.
    Quote Quote